Did Carlos Santana play Mark II's and/or III's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revgsmall

Reaction score
I kind of remember a picture of Carlos with some Colosseum heads way back in the 80's but I can't find any pictures. Just one with Carlos and Randal Smith (playing flute). It wasn't a concert scenario though. Would like to know why he stayed with the Mark I head for so long. Old habits perhaps.

Elpelotero said:
I have seen his Mark IIB Coliseum/Long Head for sale in the San Francisco craigslist classifieds recently.
Wow, I bet that went for more than a few hundred... :)

actually, it was priced the same as any other IIB, maybe just a tad more. Seems nobody figured out it was his. I think it's still out there as I saw just a couple of weeks ago. But at the end of the day, the Mark I's are in his touring rig, and not this IIB....so....

revgsmall said:
I kind of remember a picture of Carlos with some Colosseum heads way back in the 80's but I can't find any pictures. Just one with Carlos and Randal Smith (playing flute). It wasn't a concert scenario though. Would like to know why he stayed with the Mark I head for so long. Old habits perhaps.
I remember the 300 Series Coliseum advertisement photo of Carlos with Randall Smith and his wife. Carlos quotes: "Intimidating like the Walls of China."

Other than Rob Thomas "Smooth" video where you see a Mark IV and Faith Hill "Breath" video acoustic version except Carlos' instrument (I think) a Mark IV on top of his Dumble, I never seen him in a photo or video where he's using a Mark III.

I seen him use Mark IIB (combo) in the early 80's in concert.

I think the reason you see him use Mark Is (King Snake too?) is they're more "Fenderish" (original Mark I up to the Mark IIB) than later Mark series.

Here it is...The amp in question came up for sale again in the SF Bay Area.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/4899041040.html

Elpelotero said:
Here it is...The amp in question came up for sale again in the SF Bay Area.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/4899041040.html
Nice, that should make some one happy!!

revgsmall said:
Would like to know why he stayed with the Mark I head for so long. Old habits perhaps.

The Mark I is quite different from the other Marks. If we're talking about the lead channel (and what else would we be talking about :wink: ), the architecture of the Mark I is totally different...its lead circuit is pre-EQ, rather than post-EQ like on the Mark II/III/IV. Therefore, from a technical/taxonomic point of view, I don't consider the Mark I lead to be in the same family as the other Marks...it's its own thing.

So, if you're a lover of the Mark I, I can totally see how you wouldn't really go for a Mark II/III/IV.

All IMHO.

Chip

... but I find the Mark IIA's and IIB's preamp gain subtle (to my liking to fine tune my gain) than Mark Series thereafter e.g. Mark IIC, Mark III, Mark IV, Mark V.

RR said:
... but I find the Mark IIA's and IIB's preamp gain subtle (to my liking to fine tune my gain) than Mark Series thereafter e.g. Mark IIC, Mark III, Mark IV, Mark V.
My Mark IIc+ HR is very subtle and sweet sounding, here is a crappy video of us but the amp still sounds great until the sound man buried me in the mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkEaeKayi0

Elpelotero said:
How do you set your C+ for that tone? I have a Custom 24 and would like to have that in my options for the C+.

All Pre Volumes on 7, treble exactly on 6 and 1/4 (you can find on my Boogie almost a notch where the treble kicks up and I set it just below that notch just past 6) Mid on 8, bass on 2 1/4, presence on 1 1/4. The master on whatever I can get away with but hopefully at least on 3, same with the Lead Master. All knobs are pulled except the two pull brights.

It worked well with my Custom 22 but I switched over to Santana III's and it was even better. I think the Santana III pickups are not as loud and clean up better when I reduce the guitar's volume knob. Also I set the guitar's lead volume at 7 and 7-10 for sustaining notes. I don't like the on-board reverb, I usually use an old Alesis digital reverb in the "loop" but almost any digital reverb I've tried seems to be just fine. All this is through a EV12. I tried it with an Altec and I hated it. Brittle and bright in comparison. Raspy with a Celestion/Boogie speaker.

Hope that works for ya. gs

My Mark IIc+ HR is very subtle and sweet sounding, here is a crappy video of us but the amp still sounds great until the sound man buried me in the mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkEaeKayi0[/quote]

That is some smoking tone! Beautiful tune Rev.!

Zlofengir said:
My Mark IIc+ HR is very subtle and sweet sounding, here is a crappy video of us but the amp still sounds great until the sound man buried me in the mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVkEaeKayi0

That is some smoking tone! Beautiful tune Rev.![/quote]

Thanks for the kind words!!! :D

Back