Diamond Plate Appreciation Thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.I.G.

Reaction score
As you can probably tell by the title of this thread, this is meant as more of a joke than anything, but I have noticed that there are quite a few people on this board that don't like the look of the diamond plate on Boogies.

I have a DR with chrome diamond plate and I actually like it. I think for the kind of amp that it is (loud, aggressive, rugged, ballsy, etc.) that the diamond plate fits it's character pretty well. The chrome diamond plate is kind of a signature for that sound and amp. It's as regonizable now as Marshalls are with their white logo and gold front pannel. The diamond plate look is even duplicated by competitors (the Peavy XXX to name just one).

I have a ROV that has a more classy look, and I like that as well, but I still like the diamond plate. I actually prefer the black diamond plate with the chrome chasis like the old 2-channel DR's, and am glad to see that the Roadster is sporting some black diamond plate.

We all know that the magic lurking behind the front pannel of a Boogie is the important part, but we all have different preferances regarding looks. I just needed to chime in with my $0.02

I'm going to call Mesa on Monday and see if I can get something like this:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/images/rkng_bt.jpg

:p

The diamond plate is 'ok' but it gives it a 'OMGXTREME!!!! XXXXXX' vibe like all the idiots on MTV with their huge mesa rigs and their power chord riffing crap with 0 tone.

I'm not hung up on the looks or anything, but I'm cool with the diamond-plate. On a dark stage with the tubes glowing in the background I think it's dead sexy.

Platypus said:
I'm going to call Mesa on Monday and see if I can get something like this:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/images/rkng_bt.jpg

:p

The diamond plate is 'ok' but it gives it a 'OMGXTREME!!!! XXXXXX' vibe like all the idiots on MTV with their huge mesa rigs and their power chord riffing crap with 0 tone.

That's a sweet looking RK Platypus! Don't get me wrong, I like the classic look too!

The other thing to consider is that you have to pay extra for custom options if you don't want the diamond plate on single, dual, and triple rectifiers. For an amp thats $1700 to begin with, that can be a tough pill to swallow.

Let us know what they quote you for the extra custom options. I read their custom option price sheet, but I wonder if they bend the rules at times.

Also, when you custom order an amp from Mesa, do you have to order through Mesa then pay for it at an authorized dealer, or can you just go strait through Mesa? I was thinking about custom ordering a Roadster but didn't know how the process works.

14months003.jpg
8) [/img]

I dont like the dimond plate! haha its funny you put this up cause a week ago i started a thred about getting rid of my dimond plate... Then this last week i called up mesa and ordered the head with a tan cloth front just like the picture that Platypus already posted... Only thing is they swore up and down they cant make the triple rect. head with the vents on the front of the cloth like the road king has in that picture.. i was dissapointed but still ordered it.

Billy Adams said:
Only thing is they swore up and down they cant make the triple rect. head with the vents on the front of the cloth like the road king has in that picture.. i was dissapointed but still ordered it.

That's what I heard also. I'm going to try and do it myself somehow, but if it doesn't come out I'll have to order the basic black :)

According to Billy Adams, Mesa won't just sell you the front, you have to shell out 300 dollars for a completely new shell.

So much for doing it the easy way, looks like I'll have to get out my handy man tools for this job?

Platypus said:
According to Billy Adams, Mesa won't just sell you the front, you have to shell out 300 dollars for a completely new shell.

So much for doing it the easy way, looks like I'll have to get out my handy man tools for this job?

Before I get crazy and take the plate off , I'm gonna try and make something to cover the existing plate and see if that works. Something thin like a sheet of balsa wood covered in speaker cloth with the vent hole cut out might work. Could be attached with velcro for a reversable mod...

I found a place that sells the cloth (they've got biege too) :
http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech10.html

Oops - this was a diamond plate appreciation thread and here we are plotting its demise. Sorry G.I.G! :)

Well if you guys make a cool face plate to replace your dimond plate make sure to post it and let the rest of us know how you did it! I know someone metioned you can remove the dimond plate with a hair dryer. lol sorry! i know this is about how we are supposed to like the dimond plate! But anyway.

I dont want a amp that looks like a garbage truck(joke) :twisted:
A heavy duty amp can be cool for the road but there is no need for a tank in my bedroom. :roll:

I like my black diamond plate. The tonal control areas are all chrome, so there's a very cool dynamic created between the dark faceplate and the shiney chrome. It's like the faceplate is somehow less pronounced even though that's the maw of the beast. My head looks very timid from a first glance.

Billy Adams said:
Well if you guys make a cool face plate to replace your dimond plate make sure to post it and let the rest of us know how you did it! I know someone metioned you can remove the dimond plate with a hair dryer. lol sorry! i know this is about how we are supposed to like the dimond plate! But anyway.

Well, I went and got some very thin craft plywood to test my cover theory. I wouldn't be happy with the results so if I'm gonna mod it myself, the plate would need to come off. Still thinkin'...

On topic - the chrome looks nice, but I think it pigeon holes the amp. The DR is so much more than a "metal beast" which is what the plating makes it look like. I'd prefer a more subtle "sleeper" look like the RK.

I love the chrome Diamond plate, it just looks TOUGH. It'd be a hard choice to pick between a black cloth type of grille or a diamond plate if I get another head. IMO, the only other amp that looks as tough as the Boogies with a diamond plate are (dont choke) the Line 6 HD147, those are pretty tough looking too. Too bad it's a line 6 produce.

Has anyone painted their diamond plate, I am considering doing that later today (flat black). Will I have to sand it (YIKES!)? Will the paint stick? Will it look like "a stupid amateur painted his amp black what a loser"?

:?: :?:

oyster said:
Has anyone painted their diamond plate, I am considering doing that later today (flat black). Will I have to sand it (YIKES!)? Will the paint stick? Will it look like "a stupid amateur painted his amp black what a loser"?

:?: :?:

I spray painted a chrome music stand flat black once - turned out fine. I didn't prep it, and it's still on there except for around the folding bits and being abused in the gig bag. I'd take the chassis out of the shell first (duh) - and tape up the rest. I'm thinking about this too, maybe some textured paint or something...

tele_jas said:
the only other amp that looks as tough as the Boogies with a diamond plate are (dont choke) the Line 6 HD147, those are pretty tough looking too. Too bad it's a line 6 produce.

+1, that's a sharp lookin' head!

Latest posts

Back