Demarzio, Seymour Duncan, EMG and the DUAL RECTIFIER

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
Dual Rec....check, Mesa traditional 4x12...check, ok so i've bought everything my heart desires as far as guitar equipment. I can't tell you how much love i have for this gear. I just bought the traditional by the way, and its blows my mind. Its tighter than the standard and is exactly what i need from my amp.

Ok so now i'm on to upgrading my guitar. I have a Les Paul and i've upgraded the pickups once (Gibson, but i can't remember the model number). They sound great, but then again i haven't tried any of the most popular pick ups. Like i said i play mostly metal and am wondering if any of you guys could guide me in my next purchase.

What are the best metal pick ups to check out (sound best with a dual rec) and what are the differences ( i've heard emg 81 and 85s are nice)?

Thanks
-DAVE

EMG's are great for the 'EMG Sound' and not much else at least to my ears. The cleans sounds sterile and boring, the distortion is on or off and does the EMG brutal tone very well.

That being said, a modern wound passive humbucker (with ceramic magnets for the best metal tone) is the best sound out of a Rectifier in my opinion, so I'd skip out on the EMG if you're going to play other styles besides metal.

You probably have a Gibson 490 right now which aims to do this but is more of a midrange punch than anything else to my ears.

Good starting places would be DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, the PRS Tremonti Treble pickup, etc. It depends on your taste!

Latest posts

Back