Deluxe Reverb Tone through my Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twolt1021

Reaction score
I've been playing mostly heavy music for the last 20 years or so which led me to the Mark IV a few years ago. It sounds great for that purpose but I recently started playing in a lighter rock band and would love to achieve a nice, somewhat overdriven sound similar to a Deluxe reverb without going out and buying one and spending a ton of extra $$. And i'd love to stick with one amp to cover the sounds/tones across the board. I am currently using a mesa 2x12 with vintage 30's, nicely broken-in. Ideally i'd like to pick up a single 12", make some adjustments on the amp and keep rockin! Any recommendations on settings, tube swapping, cab/speakers, pedals, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Got manual?
Somewhere in there it talks about using four 6V6's (the power tube of the Deluxe Reverb) if you also switch to Simul-Class, Tweed Power, and plug the 8 ohm speaker into the four ohm jack. If you don't do those three things, something might go ka-blooie.
Page 12.

The 6V6s is an option offered in the Mark IV, the Mark I reissue and the Lone Star Classic.

I have a deluxe reverb re-issue and a Mark IIC+ (not a Mark IV). In my opinion, the Fender and Boogie are quite a bit different sounding and, most importantly for the player, they are vastly different *feeling* when you're playing them.

Still, if you are gonna give it a try, I'd recommend the following:

* Get an open-back cab. It'll never sound right with a closed-back cab
* My deluxe reverb re-issue came with a Jensen C12K. It sounds VERY different than the EVM in my boogie. So, if you've got total freedom in what speaker to put in your cab, the EVM sounds fantastic for the boogie lead sound, but not right at all for the Fender clean sound (IMO). Consider the Jensen.
* On the boogie, there are particular combinations of the pull-knobs that put the boogie back to its Fender roots. So, pull Vol1 to enable the bright, Pull the Bass knob to bring back the low end, and set the mid pot around 6 (the Deluxe Reverb has no Mid pot, but instead is hardwired to a value around 6). If you don't have the Jensen speaker, you may need to turn the Mids down more (or use the graphic EQ) to compensate.
* On the boogie, turn down your Vol 1 pot (to 5-6 depending upon your guitar) and turn up the master volume
* Consider what guitar you're using. A super-strat with EMGs and double-locking floyd rose tremolo will not sound right (IMO) if you're going for the traditional deluxe reverb pallet of sounds. Consider a regular strat (single coils!), tele, or gibson with not-too-hot pickups.

With these settings, the boogie still won't feel like the Fender (the reverb on the boogies isn't as long and lush as on the Fender, the genergal feel of the boogie is still too stiff, and the bass on the boogie is not right...not "whoomp" enough) but it'll be a little closer.

Also, with these settings, you'll be recreating the cleanish sound of the deluxe reverb. If you're looking for the sound of the Deluxe on 10, that's a whole different type of sound.

Chip

Latest posts

Back