Mesa Boogie Mark IV - very less overdrive in first channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus_musik

Reaction score
I play a Mark IV from the year 2007 in a very good condition. But i can`t get the overdriven sound in thythm 1 channel ( for example in 4:40) as Leon plays. My guitar is a Gibson like guitar (the heritage) with Seymour Duncan PU`s. (sh4, sh2). What du you think is the problem? Do I have to play much louder or is it a technical problem? Power Tubes are new. Channel 2 and 3 sound very good.

Best regards Markus (from Germany)

Do you have the combo or are you using a head with a cabinet? The speakers could be an influencing factor.

From pg. 3 of the the manual:
Setting the RHYTHM 1 mode adjusts the input sensitivity for the clean RHYTHM mode. With most guitars, this mode stays clean until
around 8 where it begins to overdrive. Use the R1 MASTER to control loudness if you want slight overdrive at low volumes. This mode
was very carefully designed to provide great rhythm sounds, from the best of vintage, Fender-type (clean or solo)
to a more modern, shimmering “funk rhythm” sound. Be sure to try this mode played really loud; you’ll love it for
blues or rock. (See the “Traditional Blues” setting on the Sample Settings sheet found on page 15 of this manual.)

The manual has a couple of examples where the Rythm 1 channel is gained out. In both cases it's in combination with higer treble and lower bass settings. Scooped GEQ will offer a bit more gain if engaged. Hot pickups or a clean booster could help as well.

1693460400787.png

1693460415744.png

If you're still not happy maybe a change to V1 could change things (pg. 17 of the manual).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Max out the first control and use the treble with the control "pulled" to add the bite to the sound. If that does not work, I would be looking hard at the V1 preamp tube, or your guitar pickups. I had a SD Custom go half dead on me once, with low output.

Did you try setting the amp like it is in that video you posted? The R1 gain, R1 treble, and R1 presence can all add gain to that channel, based on their settings.

Looks like has has it set like this:

R1 Gain: 10, pulled
R1 Treble: 6.5
R1 Presence: 5

Plus it doesn't break up much until he uses the PRS.

If using those settings, and maybe a humbucker equipped guitar, doesn't get you some breakup, then you might want to try some higher gain preamp tubes. Or maybe the pickups in your guitar aren't hot enough.

I just noticed that he said those are Fishman Fluence (active) pickups in that PRS, so that is probably contributing to him getting the R1 to break up like that.

Back