Decided to try Mark V with EL 34's Today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevycat

Reaction score
I have owned my amp for a year and a half now. Today is the first time I installed EL 34's and tried them out for myself. Being used to using 6L6's, I am very familiar with that sound, so I wanted to see what the 34's had to offer.

In all three channels, I liked the tonal response I am getting. I used the same guitar, so I will have to try some others and see if the same can be said. I will play with this tube set for a couple of weeks and see if this is the way I am going to roll with this amp.

I will post later and state what I found after the honeymoon is over.

I ran SED EL34's in the outter sockets of my old Mark IV. They didn't have the bottom end of 6L6's but the mids were so much more musical and rich that I didn't care. They also help you in a band mix too.

Exactly what Ryjan said.

I have a pair of the Winged =C= EL34's as well and I agree, they're so warm,rich and musical. They really make the Mark amps sing.

I tried EL34s in my old Mark V for a little while but ended up going back to 6L6s soon after. I just prefer the crisp, full sound of them I guess.

Latest posts

Back