DC5 and MK IV --your thoughts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edward is your Theile loaded with an EV or a C90? I have my DC-5 combo on a 3/4 back 1 x 12.

Hi Ken,

My Thiele is loaded with the EV. And while sooooo many folks gush over how much they love this spkr (not cab, but the EV spkr itself), I was not disappointed, but did feel a bit "wanting." I almost felt guilty or "wrong" since so many switch TO the EV wanting that tone. The thiele sounded good, don't get me wrong, but something about the EV was a bit "too focused" and brash, like a slap in the face. So on a lark, I decided to just try out another spkr. Did some research and found the Eminence RedWhiteBlues spkr, and decided to roll the dice.

Loaded her in and BAM! I love it! Beforehand, I really liked the Thiele cab, but was "just" short loving the EV's tone ...as opposed to the DC5s stock Mesa-Celestion which I really really DO love!! But now with the RWB in the cab, it is so much smoother/warmer ...expecially in combo with the DC's sprk. Of course AFTER I buy the RWB, Celestion goes ahead and puts sound clips on their website ...yeah, why not a couple of months ago when I was on the hunt! Honestly, that Texas Heat and the Swamp Thang, both with their similar power handling, I feel sound even better than the RWB, on the clips anyway. I hate it when that happens. Oh well, hope this helps you in some way.
...anyone want to buy a RWB in nearly new condition?? :)

Edward

Thanks. Actually I put a Swamp Thang in my Blue Jr. a couple of years ago. I was considering building a Theile cab for it because I still don't think the Jr. is as full sounding as I would like. It is probably the EL84 tubes that just don't do it for me. I did spend a bit of time on the phone consulting with a rep from Eminence before I made my decision. He was very helpful.

Back