DC-5 settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fxrs

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the boards, I tried searching, but didn't get too far, got a lot of settings for DC-3's w/strats, but I play a PRS, and I know the bass settings I was given would definitely make my amp fart out. I'm not into metal, I'm in a clasic rock cover band (but usually pretty much heavier than the originals.) Thanks in advance, Paul.

Try these

Gain - 6
Treble - 7-8
Mid - 5
Bass - 4
Presence - 3
Reverb - 0
Channel Master - 2
Master - 2

EQ- set to taste but I don't like extreme settings. I just use lightly to add a bit of bass boost and slight attentuation of mids. The far right slider can be boosted a bit for added presence. Kind of a very relaxed "V"

Hi Paul,

DC5 lover here ...and not into metal, either. So for classic and contemp rock, I use for the Lead channel:

Gain: 3.5-5.5 ...depends on buckers vs. single coil, and how saturated I want for a given set. The lower gain setting with buckers is really nice for a more "open sounding" classic rock sound with nice indiv note definition ...IMHO.
Treb: 4-5
Mid: 4
Bass: 5
Pres: 6-7
Rev: up to you

Graphic: soft V, with very little drop on the 750hz ...too much attenuation here and you get "metal scooped" sound. You want some mids to "cut through" for classic rock tone. And go easy with the 6K fader ...too much here and you get too much bite. Also, remember that the bass knob controls bass in the preamp section, the graphic controls freq after the preamp (maybe even in the power amp section, can't recall exactly) ...transated into the tone you hear, too much bass knob gets you flubby/nasty bottom, so go easy there and add bottom to your liking at the graphic ...much tighter bottom this way; experiement as pickups obviously vary wildly :)

And if you're interested, may I suggest a 12AT7 in the PI slot (that's V6 in your preamp section). To my ears, this made a tremendous difference in smoothing out the OD ...more "creamy" less grainy lead tone. I also made some other tube swaps in my DC5 which turned an amp that I really liked into an amp that I Love! I won't bore you with those changes here unless you're interested. And of course, all the above IMHO. Hope this helps you.

Edward

What tubes are you using? I'm definitely interested. I will give the AT7 a shot in the PI slot.

Thanks for the replies guys, the settings I've been using are closest to Lithium's. Usually have the gain around 7, then 6-7,5-6,2,3-5,rev varies,master is usually 4-5 for gigs, OL 2-3. BTW, this is the lead channel. Tubes are a mixed bag, althoughV1 and V4 are old RCA's I found in an old stereo. The rest are JJ's, chinese 9th's and EH. Powertubes are GT 6L6GE's.

Si I threw a 12AT7 in the PI slot last night and it was a definite improvement! The lead channel is a bit smoother. Thanks!

Yup, a 12AT7 in the PI really smooths out the OD and also seems to take off the upper edge off the rhythm (not that it really needed it). This was my favorite change in all the tube swapping I did on this amp.

I also put a 5751 NOS RCA in the Ryhthm channel (can't recall off the top of my head, V3 I think ...at work right now), and the mild gain down smoothed out the clean channel, but also made the volume master a bit more "usable" in that I could actually turn it beyond 2 without it going from "whisper" to "loud."

Somewhat more subtle a change was a NOS Mullard (12AX7) in the V1 ...I was hoping for more of a difference here, but frankly am unsure if there's a real difference.

And in the reverb (V5), an AT7 creates a bit of pre-delay between the wet and dry signal. This is hardly noticible with OD, but a very nice improvement in reverb tone in the clean channel if you chord or note with lots of spaces in between ...more "Fendery" reverb in its slight increase in spaciousness.

Power tubes are Winged C 6L6s: bold and tight bottom, clearly defined mids, and smooth top with zero brittle or harshness to the top end. I like these.

Finally, do the "output volume-snip the resistor" mod. Check the archives in the "amp tech" section ...simple 10-second job once the guts are exposed, and made the output knob MUCH better behaved in low-volume situations, and also seemed to sound better at "bedroom" volume. The latter may not be that important, but how much better the knob's taper feels is significant in and of itself. Hope this helps :)

Edward

Back