DC-5 Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and to Mesa Boogie but I'm happy I made the switch from Fender.

Anyhow, I have purchased a DC-5 which I really like and I'm just starting to get into all the possible settings. I figured them all out accept for a toggle switch located on the back between the two 6L6 power tubes. The switch is only labeled "on/off". In the off position it seems to produce more gain.

Thanks!

Whoa ...that's not right (yes, I own one). Ain't no on/off toggle switch between the two 6L6s. It has been modded by someone, either the factory or a 3rd party. I am curious, though. Can you post a pic? And if you can, also of the guts where the switch is?

BTW, check out Mesa's website and read the manual in its entirity. Not only will you be more familiar with the amp, but you will get a better idea how to tweak it to get the sound you want (this is not your dad's Fender :) ). If you're new to boogies, suffice it to say their tone stack does not behave like any other amp ...understanding their design right away puts you closer to getting the tone you want with less knob tweaking.

Edward

Thanks for the info Edward.

I downloaded the full manual and I fully agree with you that it takes time to digest all of the available settings! I have it set to where I really like it now.

As for the switch, I figured it might be a mod too. I have to admit with the switch in the off position, it sounds incredible. I wonder what it's doing? I will try to post pictures soon.

Jim

I just opened the unit up and found the toggle switch is connected to both of the 6L6 tube sockets via wires and small caps in between.

Could this be some kind of Bias switch?

Hi Jimmy,

Hmmm, you sure those "caps" aren't resistors? It sounds as if someone has modded to give you the option to go to triode mode. Less clean headroom and "looser" character and more vintage vibe to the OD. Very cool option from what I hear (others have done so with their MKIIIs).

Edward

Could be resistors I suppose!

Judging from the response of the switch, I do believe you're right.

Thanks,

Jim

Edward, I like the sound in the "off" position. Does this mean the power tubes are running in their stock form (pentode mode)?

I'm assuming in Triode mode, the amp would have less gain?

Jim

Hi Jim,

No way I could tell you what the guy's "off" position means. Pentode is the normal mode of your DC5. Lots of clean headroom in Pentode, and the Lead channel's OD is tight and punchy ...what many consider "modern" sounding.

Triode mode will yield considerably less clean headroom, and so will "crunch" earlier, and with a more loose "vintagy" vibe (think old Fenders). The OD in the Lead channel will sound more saturated at lower volumes, and have less punch/attack, but sound nice for solos and sustaining notes.

This is cool ...I was thinking of doing such a thing with my MKIII. Enjoy!

Edward

Latest posts

Back