DC-3 Question (probably bad tube; need confirmation)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calamity

Reaction score
Alright, I'm pretty pissed about this, but here goes.

Two nights ago, a girl from our old high school came over. She got drunk, and kept coming in my room. I was trying to take a quiz, but y'know, I just let her stay for a bit. Then my drunk roommate comes in and complicates things. I just wanted her to leave so I can finish my **** work. Well, she's sitting by my amp, and flips both the standby and power switches (possibly multiple times). I was pissed. Needless to say, I got them out of my room. (I usually turn off my power strip for this very precaution, but I was charging my laptop, and was planning on playing later so I didn't unplug the amp, doh.)

Anyway, now my clean channel distorts and makes a slight hiss when I play a little bit hard, and it sometimes drops in volume. My lead channel sounds a lot more scooped and is lower in volume.

My question is: Is this a bad tube? I'm thinking it is, but I'm not sure which. I suck at tube amp mechanics/electronics, so I've been trying to troubleshoot this myself. I could only reach 5 of the 12AX7s, but they were fine when I tapped them. I'm thinking this is a bad power tube (since the preamp tubes wouldn't be affected by the manhandling of the standby/power, right?). I *think* one of them doesn't glow blue (or as blue) as the others (even slightly). Before I go grab some tubes, however, (just to fix it before I get a complete retube, I'm broke atm), I'd like to know what you guys think it might be. Is it a power tube like I think, or could it be a 12AX7? Thanks.

I feel your pain, bro. I'm not sure that flipping the switches up and down would automatically damage tubes that fast, but I suppose it's possible.

If you're truly broke, there's not much you can do. But what I would do is scrape up enough $ and get a new 12ax7, and then try pulling the preamp tubes one at a time and substituting the new one. If it's a preamp tube, you'll know right away.

With the EL84s in that amp, you really need a closely matched quartet to get the amp running at it's best, so I would hold off on swapping them out until you can replace all 4 at the same time.

A few months back I was playing a gig and we had a good fried from another band sit in to sing vocals on a couple of tunes. I'm taking a solo, and he grabs his tambourine and starts whacking it on the top of my DC-3 in time with the music. (I was soloing in channel 2). So I come out of my solo, hit the footswitch to change back to channel 1, and the amp is competely silent. It would work in channel 2, but not in 1.

Took a set break, and swapped out the V1 preamp tube, and I was good to go. Tubes can be damaged easily.

(Also, this may be obvious, but check the settings on your amp - in their drunked debauchery, your "friends" may have accidentally moved the dials and eq sliders).

A drunk chick (probably say 19 ) keeps coming into your room and the only switch you'll let her flip IS ON YOUR AMP???????????????????? :( :lol: :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :)

plumptone said:
I feel your pain, bro. I'm not sure that flipping the switches up and down would automatically damage tubes that fast, but I suppose it's possible.

If you're truly broke, there's not much you can do. But what I would do is scrape up enough $ and get a new 12ax7, and then try pulling the preamp tubes one at a time and substituting the new one. If it's a preamp tube, you'll know right away.

With the EL84s in that amp, you really need a closely matched quartet to get the amp running at it's best, so I would hold off on swapping them out until you can replace all 4 at the same time.

A few months back I was playing a gig and we had a good fried from another band sit in to sing vocals on a couple of tunes. I'm taking a solo, and he grabs his tambourine and starts whacking it on the top of my DC-3 in time with the music. (I was soloing in channel 2). So I come out of my solo, hit the footswitch to change back to channel 1, and the amp is competely silent. It would work in channel 2, but not in 1.

Took a set break, and swapped out the V1 preamp tube, and I was good to go. Tubes can be damaged easily.

(Also, this may be obvious, but check the settings on your amp - in their drunked debauchery, your "friends" may have accidentally moved the dials and eq sliders).

Sigh, people just don't take good care of other people's stuff. Thanks for the advice, though. :)

Restless Rocks said:
A drunk chick (probably say 19 ) keeps coming into your room and the only switch you'll let her flip IS ON YOUR AMP???????????????????? :( :lol: :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :)

Those were the only switches I wouldn't let her flip ;)

Edit: I opened her back up and swapped the weird looking EL84 with the one beside it. Now it's fixed. Or perhaps ya just can't really tell. I dunno; I'm satisfied.

Latest posts

Back