DC-3 problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan1112

Reaction score
I have a problem with my DC-3. When I plug into the headphones or recording jack it sounds very distorted. There's lots of buzzing, almost like I put an insane overdrive over the lead channel. It sounds nothing like playing through the speaker which is perfect. I also have to turn the volumes way up to hear from the headphone and recording jacks. I want to be able to plug the into the sound board from the recording jack for live stuff but it sounds really bad over the PA. I have replaced all the EL-84s and the FX loop, driver, and first preamp tubes but the problem remains.
Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Thanks.

You should try posting your question in the "Vintage Amps" area of this forum. That area is for amps such as the Dual Calibers and you might get more responses over there.

DC-3 user here too. I tried the headphone jack once. Never used it again because it sounds horrible. I would never run the amp through the PA using the recording out jack. Although both of these are supposed to be able to replicate the speaker roll-off, they don't do the amp any justice at all. I guess in a pinch I would use the headphone jack for quiet playing, but really - why bother. You can get decent tone from the amp at very low volume anyway. As far as running through the PA - just thow a mic on it.

I think the problems you are experiencing are endemic to the amp. I'm sure Monsta-tone will be chiming in later on this. Let's see if he agrees.

In most live playing that I do, putting a mic on it is not an option. I have been playing live with a line 6 processor but I just can't take it anymore. I want to play with the line out of a Mesa.

Would any other Mesa amps sound better through the line out? I've been thinking about a dual rec lately.

If you're looking to go direct to a board, a high quality tube amp is not the right choice for you. The whole thing with these amps is cranking them up to get the guitar, tubes and speakers all interacting together. It's organic, and it's why it sounds so good. Running straight out and bypassing your speaker you are missing an entire 1/3 of the equation (and probably the output tube interaction too).

So do you know of any effects processors or pedals that would sound close to a Mesa through a board. As I said before I have a line 6 pod xt live and it's crap. The xt live can "simulate" a dual rec but in my opinion it sounds nothing like one.

Fixed the problem. Replaced a lead tube again and its fixed. You are also right that I will never get the sound I'm looking for going directly to a board. I tried putting a mic on the amp and it brought the tone through out system nicely.

Back