Dating my Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In_Exile

Reaction score
Newbie to the forum. I bought a mesa amp at a pawnshop about 17yrs ago. I played 99.9% acoustic straight through a PA the last 17yrs and have decided to dust off the mesa and pull out the Ibanez roadstar II that I bought at the same time. Could someone help me date my amp and tell me the value? I also have noticed that the pots are stratchy. Any suggestions for cleaning besides being raped at a music store? It has 11245 stamped on the back of the amp. It's a cream color with 1 MS-12 speaker. I don't see any kind of model name or number on the front like other pictures of mesa's I've seen. I couldn't figure out how to attach a photo.

In_Exile,

Welcome to the forum.

To post a pic, you'll need to have it online somewhere you can link to it.
Then in a post click the 'URL' box directly above the post window and paste in the link address between the URL tags.

That should do it.
Post some pics and folks will let you know what version of awesome tone you have in your possession.... :wink:

Hi welcome to the forum. Based on the serial number you posted I think it's a mark II from probably around 1982 but I could be very wrong. Pics will definitly help

It's a mark II C. I see them go for around 1500 to 2000 on eBay in decent shape. This one looks good. Get it cleaned up and serviced and it will sing. How long has it been since it's been played? Tubes changed?

I bought it with the first paycheck from my first real job. I knew the name was good. I used it a handful of times and then went strictly to acoustic, grateful dead and bluegrass and have just kind of carried it along the way. I plug it in now and then but i get frustrated with it because #1. the pots need cleaning, I took it apart once a few yrs ago but i think the pots where sealed and i couldn't get at anything to clean. and #2. I never had a book for it and couldn't figure out what was on when, depending on what knob was pulled and if the footswitch was pushed, haha. I'd hit the button for clean and the distortion would kick in. I love music and playing but have never been a big buff on equipment. I just like to pick a guitar up and strum it. I would be perfectly happy banging on a walmart guitar if it stays in tune. I feel like i'm the only musician like this. Anyways. I appreciate any info given.

Are you planning on keeping it or selling it? You can download the manual from Mesa's website and any of the mark II C guys can help you tweak it or leanr more about it. Just to confirm, it does not have a "+" written above the power cord does it?

There is no "+" above where the power cord goes into the grommet and amp. I think that's what you're asking.

I'll probably keep it. I don't sell much. I still have the first electric guitar my mom bought me when I was 12. I'd probably be to scared to hand it over to any music store around here. I'll have to start looking for a respectable place around here.

I would call up Mesa Boogie and get them to work on your amp replacing Caps and whatever else needs replacing. I have a Mark IIC+ that I am the original owner of and recently got it serviced for $280 including replacing the original power tunes. They could also do a C+ conversion for you.

I agree. I would call Mesa and see what it will take to get it out there and serviced. Especially if you like it and want to hang on to it because it was a first purchase type of thing. Other than that you should talk to some guys here to help you find the base sound you want so in the off chance time you play plugged in you are happy with it.

I took the pictures off of craigslist cause i was getting lots of emails. I don't know how else to attach pictures in this forum. I guess they need to be on the web already. thanks for everyones help

www.photobucket.com

^___^

You know, if money isn't an issue for you, you should totally send your amp into MESA and get them to do a complete service / IIc+ conversion. It will probably sound like a different amp when it gets back, and in a good way.

Back