Converting hard wired power cable to 3 prong plug?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastRedPonyCar

Reaction score
I've got a studio preamp with the power wire hard wired to the power switch/ground/fuse. I'd like to convert it to the modern 3 prong AC plug (see figure E)

http://www.qualtekusa.com/catalog2/ac_recept/power_inlets.html

Has anyone done this? I've got a little experience doing this type stuff and it seems fairly straight forward. I'd just have to figure out how to cut the hole for the plug. :?:

i'd definately go with a solder connection. the hardest part would probably be cutting the metal chassis to fit the plug. but its a mod i've thought about doing with a few of my rack pieces.

I've done this on a lot of old amps and rack pieces. It's really only ever been a matter of making sure that there is room inside to fit the piece. Metal work always sucks but it's super worth it. Good luck!

yeah the joints would definately be soldered.

I've got a pair of those nibblers around the house somewhere. they'd work well I think. Takes forever to get a hole cut but they're clean and precise.

I'll post pics if I actually carry through with this.

Are there any tools available for cutting or punching the hole? I have a tool called the Whitney Punch that will punch holes in seven different sizes from 1/16" to 1/4" but only round.

You can get square and rectangular hole punches, but I found it was easier to drill holes in the corners of the shape I want and then take a dremel tool with a disc to cut between them. Then just use files to clean it up.

Latest posts

Back