Considering a Carvin ST 300.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! You'll definitely have to put up pics when you get it!

Happy Thanksgiving to all as well.

I have owned a Carvin SH-550, Bolt, DC-400, CT6, all sold, now have a CT6, which is the one that looks like a Les Paul. I wish I had the SH-550, really loved that guitar, **** Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac and Barney Frank, if they'd just listened, none of us would be in this mess

All amazing build, action is all they say it is. Worst pickups in the business at any price range. Replace the pickups and you will have a great guitar. The resale is not good, so keep it.

Often, I sit down and play through all my guitars, Fender Strat, amazing, Gibson Les Paul Classic, very good, Hamer Standard, bulky to while sitting, but who doesn't like to look at that guitar, and my Carvin. Carvin is my favorite to play, sounds the worst of all of them. I'd expect it to sound more like my les paul, and it's not even close.. I do love to look at it though.

I highly recommend the flame over the quilt, that's my taste.

Well, the post card from Carvin says Jan 13.....we'll see. Coming up soon..... :mrgreen:
Not too awfully concerned about time as long as they "nail it". If not, I have no qualms about using the 10 day trial.

I sincerely hope I won't have to.... 8)

I'll let you all know and try to get some pics up, too.

......later... :)

Well its done, so I went up to Carvin to pick it up......and went home empty handed. :cry: :x

It has 3 problems that need to be fixed. 8)

1-Custom dual volume controls not wired correctly (easy fix)
2-Actual vibrato bar on Floyd Rose not seating properly. Lot of play and slop and won't tighten down properly. I have played/owned other OFR and Schaller FR's and this is not normal or acceptable. Although I got an argument from the sales guy about that (not as easy to fix, but doable).
3- first string too close to edge of frets....falls over end of frets too easily when doing pull-offs (may be somewhat adjustable, but not an easy fix otherwise).

They say they will fix it, but I will make one more drive to the far end of the County to get it, then if it's not right, I'll be getting a deposit refund.

Bummer. :x

The guitars I played in their showroom, before I ordered, did not have these issues....why they picked mine, who knows??

On the plus side, I will say the finish was awesome and the tone was way better than I expected....don't see a need to change P/U's either, as I had thought I might. Really, too bad, I'll wait and see, otherwise........

Maybe now I'll get a PRS SE model and have the local pro shop add an OFR?
Or maybe I'll just go buy a Strat....... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'll keep you guys posted......... :|

Just got off the phone with Carvin....the first two issues are fixed. :)

The third may be a problem...I talked to the "QC" head honcho. I got "sort of" an argument. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

They did agree to try to fix again.

I'll give 'em one more chance.........then Music Power, here I come! 8)

Please see my 2nd to last post...... :D :D :D
Seriously I hope Carvin makes this right...and I think they will. 8)

The bummer is if I had to have this shipped to me across the country, as many people do, I would have "10 day'd" it immediately. At least being semi local, they get another chance.

They may not be happy with me complaining, but customers that don't complain, just quietly go elsewhere to do business.

They should welcome the opportunity to correct it.

Sorry to rant about this, but I had to get it off my chest.

Take care :D

Well, I got it! :mrgreen:

It's "almost" perfect. :|

Very lively and responsive (very loud unplugged).
Awesome finish. Great fretwork. Pickups are pretty good but I can always change them if I want to, later, so no big concern at the moment....
However...

neck is awfully thick; worse than ones I tried at the showroom...may or may not be able to get used to that.
It is heavy.....more than I expected, but may be why it is so lively. I know the maple top adds to this but with swamp ash body, I had hoped for less weight.....may get used to that, too, eventually.

I still have a few days to decide before my 10 day trial is up. I am playing it constantly to see if I want to keep it.
The neck is the big concern.....don't know if I will be happy with it. Guess I could have it shaved down at the pro shop, but why should I have to?

Decisions, decisions.... :roll:

Here's a quick pic.....
DSCF0154.jpg

Take care! :)

i had my carvin for 30 minutes, before i decided i would have the neck professionally shaved.

LOL

yep.

brand new guitar, i was in north carolina, near greensboro, so i called up ZION guitars, made an appointment, and in the middle of a week-long gig, took that guitar to them and had them shave it.
now, mine was solid KOA, with a clear poly finish, so i didn't really have any issues with a re-finish..

but that was in 1984, and that guitar is STILL my main axe.

so, just something to consider, if you really love it, and hate the neck, which i did.

back then, they were the "D" shape, i just couldn't deal with it.

Thanks for the info......now, I know that was 25+ yrs ago, but what did it cost you to have it shaved and, more importantly, how long did it take?
I know it's comparing apples to oranges considering inflation and the time that has past, but I can't help but be curious... :?:

I like (almost) everything else about this guitar and am inclined to keep it, but that neck, as is, won't do! 8)
If I get the neck where I like it, it is still a good deal compared to the alternatives.

aw man, these guys turned it around in 3 days.

i think they would have liked to have let the finish settle longer, but i was leaving the area at the end of the week.

i don't think they charged more than $150 for the neck re-shape.

they did such a good job, i had a luthier copy the dimensions of that neck for my next custom job

the carvin (1984 DC200K)
dc200close.jpg

the Williams Special
15646818.jpg

Now thats a class Axe! :p
A "Williams Special", eh? Looks nice...I'll have to google 'em. But the Carvin is still your #1?

I called a shop in my area and they said about $225 to 250 for reshape and refinish...not too bad, considering... I could not get any other brand guitar this good at that total cost. Even Fender would have been more (esp. after a FloydRose)

I'll think about it, but at least I know I have some options if I keep it (and likely will since it plays so nice otherwise).

I do have a gorgeous pearl white Carvin CT6 with gold hardware for sale for $800, very light usage. Paid around $1250 for it. Quality is outstanding but I do have 15 guitars in the house and mostly play my Fenders so trying to thin the herd. PM if interested.

jab said:
I do have a gorgeous pearl white Carvin CT6 with gold hardware for sale for $800, very light usage. Paid around $1250 for it. Quality is outstanding but I do have 15 guitars in the house and mostly play my Fenders so trying to thin the herd. PM if interested.

You bought a CT (6) and had it painted? Why not just get a CT4 or CT5. Defeats the whole purpose of the CT6, which comes with either Flame or Curly Maple top.

Old BF Shred said:
Well, I got it! :mrgreen:

It's "almost" perfect. :|

Very lively and responsive (very loud unplugged).
Awesome finish. Great fretwork. Pickups are pretty good but I can always change them if I want to, later, so no big concern at the moment....
However...

neck is awfully thick; worse than ones I tried at the showroom...may or may not be able to get used to that.
It is heavy.....more than I expected, but may be why it is so lively. I know the maple top adds to this but with swamp ash body, I had hoped for less weight.....may get used to that, too, eventually.

I still have a few days to decide before my 10 day trial is up. I am playing it constantly to see if I want to keep it.
The neck is the big concern.....don't know if I will be happy with it. Guess I could have it shaved down at the pro shop, but why should I have to?

Decisions, decisions.... :roll:

Here's a quick pic.....
DSCF0154.jpg

did you get a tung oil neck finish?
If you get tung oil they shave the neck down, mine is perfect thickness. just a bit fatter and rounder then my ibanez PGM301. and its the smooothest neck ive played.

If you get tung oil they shave the neck down, mine is perfect thickness. just a bit fatter and rounder then my ibanez PGM301. and its the smooothest neck ive played.

It is standard gloss finish......No information regarding neck finish vs. neck size was ever volunteered by Carvin, whether on their site, by phone or in person.
If there are available variations in neck size, they do a **** good job hiding that info. :x

On the bright side I am getting more used to the neck and figure it may be contributing to the awesome sustain this axe has. :eek:
And I know 2 shops in my area that can shave it down should I decide to later on. :D

Old BF Shred said:

It is standard gloss finish......No information regarding neck finish vs. neck size was ever volunteered by Carvin, whether on their site, by phone or in person.
If there are available variations in neck size, they do a **** good job hiding that info. :x

On the bright side I am getting more used to the neck and figure it may be contributing to the awesome sustain this axe has. :eek:
And I know 2 shops in my area that can shave it down should I decide to later on. :D
I went in to the Hollywood store and talked to the guys alot before I bought mine.
My friend had an awesome neck on his axe, so thats why I wanted a Carvin. But I played on most of the guitars in store and they all had different thickness necks.
So I said "I want this neck", and showed em my friends axe, and he said if you want it that thickness go tung oil, as it requires further shaving.

Latest posts

Back