combo queston - c 90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
how is the c90 differnet from the v30? In the context of the combo, I am assuming a combo can be ordered with a v30 instead... what advantages do they have over each other?

also, i have a 4x12 recto cab, (v30).. so if i had a combo and connect it to the cab, i can still use the internal speaker too, right? (i have seen some amps where the internal would be disconnected.) (im not worried about the silly look of the combo on the cab)

My $.02 :
C90 = 90 watts
V30 = 60 watts
Mark V = 90 watts
If I had a Mark V combo, the first thing I'd do is replace the anemic C90 with at least a 150 watter (Eminence Texas Heat comes to mind), for the same reason you don't put non-high speed rated tires on a Ferrari.
Just my opinion, but 90 watts into a 90 watt speaker just ain't bullet-proof enough for me. It will blow up, and at a gig, too.
I wouldn't even get a combo, because putting a high-powered speaker in it just makes the pig heavier.
My Mark V will be a head, and it will still weigh about the same as my Mark III with EV.
You can use the (8 ohm) cab and the (8 ohm) internal - plug both into the two 4 ohm outputs.
Hope this helps :D

According to the manual, mixing and mis-matching speaker impedances on the Mark V is 'allowed' and, in my interpretation, experimentation in this regard encouraged. It looks like one should feel free to try whatever one wants in the speaker department without having to worry about mis-matching.

MeZadude 8)

I know a few guys running v30s in Mark IVs without any problems. It depends on how/where you play. I would recommend keeping it set on 45 watts if you run a v30 just to be safe. Or keep the c90 and get a recto 112 extension :twisted:

hmm, i guess im questioning the tonal differences...

i have a 4x12 recto with v30s.. so if i plug into that im gonna get that tone.. but anyone that has the combo, how does the tone differ with the c90... or would some other speaker achieve the "typical / standard" mark tones?

Before you go thinking about replacing a C90, you ought to try it out. I like the sound of the one in my Mark V combo. Sounds pretty good as a matter of fact.

MeZadude 8)

hahahha, i of course would try everything out before spending extra money.. buy i think everyone here gets that stupid chase for the tone thing... (has anyone tried vintage speakers like greenbacks, with a mark? i dont mean a single 20 watter withe a 80+ watt amp, either a 4x12 or something.. or does everyone use V30's with it.. and the c90?)

how much bass do you lose the the combo? being that its open back.. or how big does its sound.. MeZadude youve had the combo a while... any new impressions?

Here is a picture of the "mule" cab that will be used with a MkV head when Mike (lesterpaul) gets his. 23 inches wide, vintage EVM-12L loaded, and built with the original thiele parameters (with false walls to get the correct width). :D

DSC04201.jpg

The cab was made by these guys: http://boogafunkcabs.net/

Latest posts

Back