closing an open back 2x12 cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
estring said:
Tubegear Junkie said:
estring,
If you have a speaker that has the parameters to allow it to be used in different style cabs, then why are closed & open cabs designed differently?
Also, why do loudspeaker mfg's list different applications for certain speakers? And, what are the V30's parameters that allow it to be used in both style cabs?

Off the top of my head, I dont know...more importantly I dont care.
My point, as stated now for the third time.. :roll:
is... what he wants to do can be done. its personal preference, like strings, cables and picks.

Your point was taken lightly the 1st time.
When someone tries to negate facts about a subject that they have no real knowledge in, it comes across as arrogance.

To tell an unsuspecting individual that there's "no real rules" to follow is not good advice in this situation.
This topic is not of personal preference, there is certain measures to take when considering sound dispersion, dynamics and performance.
How you, I or the OP do the conversion is personal preference.

I was only stating facts that needed to be taken into consideration on a project such as this.
I never stated it couldn't be done.
A closed back cab is highly directional and the sound is coming out of the front in a rather acute angle. Speakers have moving and floating parts that have to be taken into consideration. All high-end comes from the center of the speaker and comes out in an extreme acute angle.
The bottom-end comes from the sides of the speaker in an obtuse dispersion angle.
When closing off an open cab- ports have to be installed to allow the air from becoming trapped in the back of the cab. Also care needs to be taken to prevent sound waves from the back of the cab from meeting those from the front- which causes interference.

Whatever....

Cellardweller....something you might try if your looking for a diiferent tone is turn your cabinet vertically with the V30 on the bottom. This is how I play mine and I like the way it responds better than horizontally.
Just a thought for your experimentation.

Yeah, that sounds like my best bet!

My concern comes from the fact that the G12H is a 30 watt speaker, as opposed to the 60 watt V30.
In a practice environment, when the Pariah...err drummer is wailing away and the bass player is abusing the air, that I may inadvertently crank my Solo 50 to the point of blowing the G12H...perhaps partially due to the fact that the sound is not focused out of the front of the cab...

Geesh, I feel like I'm babbling, and reading the above paragraph is making my head swim...I think I'm going back to bed now. :lol:

Thanks again to everyone for the informative replies.

Latest posts

Back