closing an open back 2x12 cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardweller

Reaction score
Has anyone ever closed a partially open-back cabinet before?

I have an Avatar 2x12 open, and an Avatar 2x12 closed back, and I definitely like the closed back's focused sound and low end better than the open-back.

How'd you do it?
Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

cellardweller said:
Has anyone ever closed a partially open-back cabinet before?

I have an Avatar 2x12 open, and an Avatar 2x12 closed back, and I definitely like the closed back's focused sound and low end better than the open-back.

How'd you do it?
Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

you could go get a piece of 13 ply birch, cover it with matching tolex, and install the speaker jack of your choice and screw it on.... if there are no holes for the open back yet i would predrill them so you dont crack anything with you screw on the back.... remember you can use the back of your closed back as a template

The problem with that idea is that when you close off the back you change the entire dynamics of the speaker. Also, and a much bigger issue is that the speakers have to be designed for closed back or bass reflex cabinets. What happens is that the closed back restricts the speaker movement and the cabinet should be designed for the Thiele / Small characteristics of the speaker. Now you are getting into a whole different ball game.

if the sound gets to muddy with a closed back you can always cut holes for bass reflexion into it. put tubes with the same diameter in the hole, cut the length of the tube (INSIDE THE CABINET) until your cabinet bass sounds fine.

never heard of speaker designed for open back, wonder where to get.

Tubegear Junkie said:
The problem with that idea is that when you close off the back you change the entire dynamics of the speaker. Also, and a much bigger issue is that the speakers have to be designed for closed back or bass reflex cabinets. What happens is that the closed back restricts the speaker movement and the cabinet should be designed for the Thiele / Small characteristics of the speaker. Now you are getting into a whole different ball game.

A V30 in an open back is the same v30 in a closed back...

Of the closed back cab I've seen, they they have damping material as well. The smaller cab usually has small opening, bass port. From what I read , the size and position of the bass port is important. So I don't think simply close the back of an open cab will do it, if you're looking for a tight low.

estring said:
Tubegear Junkie said:

The cabs are designed differently... :roll:

I have a couple Recto 2x12's. One of them I bought back in the mid 90's when they used to include a half-back panel to convert to open back if desired. I recently found the half-back panel in the garage and converted one of mine into an open-back. Both cabs are identical and there is no diff in the speaker placement. I liked it more than I thought I would. I made my spare 2x12 full panel into a pedalbaord. It fits the Bradshaw RS-10 foot controller perfectly along with a couple pedals. The speaker jack hole opening is still there, but my volume pedal covers it up.

I'd like a giant rubber/plastic plug or panel to snap-fit into an open back. It could have subordinate ports (holes) that have their own snap-fit covers so we could tweak the bass response etc.

DeFrag said:
I'd like a giant rubber/plastic plug or panel to snap-fit into an open back. It could have subordinate ports (holes) that have their own snap-fit covers so we could tweak the bass response etc.
Nice idea...lemme know if/when you find one! :lol:

Tubegear Junkie said:
estring said:
Tubegear Junkie said:

True about the cabs. but your OP says that the speakers have to be designed for closed back or Bass reflex cabs...This is what I was referring to and not necessarily true.

estring said:
Tubegear Junkie said:
estring said:

True about the cabs. but your OP says that the speakers have to be designed for closed back or Bass reflex cabs...This is what I was referring to and not necessarily true.
Are you serious?
You are saying that any speaker can be used for a closed back cab and a open back cab disregarding the dynamics, characteristics,movement, etc of any particular speaker being used?
My statements are facts; speakers have to be designed for closed back and Bass reflex cabs. in order to perform properly in a closed cab. The V30 has the dynamics and characteristics to be allowed in both types of cabs.True.
The OP has asked about enclosing a 2x12 cab and doesn't mention anything about what speakers are loaded into it.

Tubegear Junkie said:
estring said:
Tubegear Junkie said:

Are you serious?
You are saying that any speaker can be used for a closed back cab and a open back cab disregarding the dynamics, characteristics,movement, etc of any particular speaker being used?
My statements are facts; speakers have to be designed for closed back and Bass reflex cabs. in order to perform properly in a closed cab. The V30 has the dynamics and characteristics to be allowed in both types of cabs.True.
The OP has asked about enclosing a 2x12 cab and doesn't mention anything about what speakers are loaded into it.
\

No ...the op made no ref to speaker.. My example was for the most popular cab speaker...the v30. why so hostile??

speakers for the most part are not "designed" for open or closed back cabs. Some simply work better that others.

cellardweller said:
True enough. Sorry 'bout that!

One is a V30, and a G12H30 I think the other is...

I have the same combo... you can use both in either a closed or open back. Which is sounds best to you is what you should go with. I like the openess of the V30 while the G12 brings in some of the girth you may find in a closed back, but not quite as deep. YMMV

estring said:
speakers for the most part are not "designed" for open or closed back cabs. Some simply work better that others.

there are speaker measures called Q parameters. It (Qts specifically) is a general indication of how well a speaker will work in ported, closed, or open back cabinets. Manufacturers definitely take this into account when designing speakers.

Once again, sorry for not supplying enough info.

Is the G12H30 (in addition to the V30) also suited for both open/closed cab applications?

Thanks to all who replied.

lyman said:
estring said:

there are speaker measures called Q parameters. It (Qts specifically) is a general indication of how well a speaker will work in ported, closed, or open back cabinets. Manufacturers definitely take this into account when designing speakers.

Very True, I think its more prevelant in car audio enclosures...But IMHO and experience most speakers across the board can have a place in open or closed back cabs. I used the V30 as a typical example. The op wants to try and convert his cab to closed back.
I was just letting him know that it could work and there are no real "rules" to follow. Just his own taste on tone,stye and how he sets his amp.

estring said:
lyman said:
estring said:

Very True, I think its more prevelant in car audio enclosures...But IMHO and experience most speakers across the board can have a place in open or closed back cabs. I used the V30 as a typical example. The op wants to try and convert his cab to closed back.
I was just letting him know that it could work and there are no real "rules" to follow. Just his own taste on tone,stye and how he sets his amp.
estring,
If you have a speaker that has the parameters to allow it to be used in different style cabs, then why are closed & open cabs designed differently?
Also, why do loudspeaker mfg's list different applications for certain speakers? And, what are the V30's parameters that allow it to be used in both style cabs?

Tubegear Junkie said:
estring said:
lyman said:

estring,
If you have a speaker that has the parameters to allow it to be used in different style cabs, then why are closed & open cabs designed differently?
Also, why do loudspeaker mfg's list different applications for certain speakers? And, what are the V30's parameters that allow it to be used in both style cabs?

Off the top of my head, I dont know...more importantly I dont care.
My point, as stated now for the third time.. :roll:
is... what he wants to do can be done. its personal preference, like strings, cables and picks.

Latest posts

Back