Caring for hardwood/wicker shells

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampage

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have another MKIV headed my way in wood/wicker and I was wonder: What do you guys use to take care of the hardwood/wicker? The amp is being sent from a humid environment to Phoenix, AZ, so I want to be sure to stay on top of conditioning the wicker to minimize cracking. I have a good bit of hardwood furniture on which I use Lemon Oil; would this work on a Boogie shell without staining? If not, what do you guys use/recommend?

Lemon oil is great for woods that have a good clear existing finish, but for a natural finish, and to really bring out the grain Tung oil works best for me!

Thinned tung oil of if really bad try french polish. Lemon oil is OK as well, as long as the cab is not finished with a poly. It will make is greasy.

Just clean it with a non-wax furniture polish. I would avoid using oils because they won't penetrate the original finish. If you get it and it is scratched and nicked below the finish, than you can hit the surface with some emery cloth or 0000 steel wool, then go ahead a apply a coat of tung oil but it may not be a durable as the original finish. Just remember, once you commit to roughing the surface you will lose the original sheen and maybe some of the aged look. As far as a French polish, it is a real art to perform that correctly, there is a folding trick to the gauze that gives the wood a certain glossy sheen. If i were going to dress the wood up, i would get a gel wipe on poly in whatever sheen you choose. You can find it at Woodcraft or Rockler. Lightly sand, apply one coat, instant hard finish with no runs, drips or errors. Very smooth durable finish. Just my 2 pennies.

Latest posts

Back