Careers in music?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschberger

Reaction score
Ok, so I am starting to look at career options and what to do in college. While I am a great baseball player, I know I can't rely on that to make a living off of. as a backup option, I am considering a career in music (something guitar related lol). the only problem is I don't really know what options I have besides ther obvious theory and gigging, but I'm not sure I could make a good living off of that. what are some options open for someone looking for a career in music (what should I major in and study, etc).

thanks,
Hirschberger

of course you can't count on becoming famous and I'd even say, unless you live in vegas or something, it would be very hard making a living playing local bars.

but...
  • teaching; my bass player and drummer are both high school music teachers. they're doing well with that.
  • become a luthier, amp repairman or something along those lines
  • work at guitar center

I've done well with composing music for commercials, sound design and for the last 15 years, editing for commercial post-production. My music experience comes into play everyday. Definitely need to locate yourself in a city with advertising agencies for this though.

Griz said:
I've done well with composing music for commercials, sound design and for the last 15 years, editing for commercial post-production. My music experience comes into play everyday. Definitely need to locate yourself in a city with advertising agencies for this though.
i live in los angeles, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to be the guy responsible for removing all the colored M&Ms that a band doesn't want in their hotel rooms!

Hirschberger said:
as a backup option, I am considering a career in music (something guitar related lol).
thanks,
Hirschberger

(just my 2cents)
Careers in music are just as competitive as careers in sports, but the music industry is in far more trouble.

Teaching is probably the most stable path to go in music which means you basically have 2 options. You can concentrate in music education which a Music Ed degree allows you to teach in almost any school system you'd like. OR the other route is what i am doing, is concentrating in one field of music and getting your masters in it. For example I'm getting my bachelors in Music Composition and will either be going for my masters in theory or composition. Either way if i obtain my masters I can go and teach in private schools or colleges without a music education degree.

I would love to be the dude that gives the thumbs up, or thumbs down for records to be released.

I always find myself hearing some crap band and think to myself 'I wish I was consulted before this band was released, I would VETO that ****'

8)

As mentioned, teaching is likely the most 'normal' and reliable job that I can think of that's still very hands-on and music oriented. Assuming you would actually enjoy doing it, studying music-ed and grabbing a job at a school of some sort teaching band isn't a bad choice. Strong union and whatnot. As for performing, there's a number of ways to go about it that might not be the most exciting proposition in the world, but can pay the bills. Solid, professional cover bands can make a killing in certain markets, and the live band karaoke thing does the same. I've known a few folks that spend summers doing stints on cruise ships in any number of dance/cover bands. Free room and board, food is covered, you get to see the world/country/wherever, and take home some cash every week. Hosting open mics can be a nice little way to make some cash on a weekly basis, etc.

Beyond performing, teaching, studio work, etc., some of the other obvious culprits would be the technical side of things: mixing, mastering, live sound, production, all that sorts of stuff. There are educational opportunities for all of these, but it seems that just diving in and gaining experience goes a very long way in these fields. There's always options like being a guitar/amp tech, or whatnot.

Then don't forget that all these companies related to the business (manufacturers, production companies, lighting companies, etc. etc.) all have room for all sorts of employees, if you're willing to get a little more away from the music directly. AR, promotion, marketing, sales, etc.

There's all sorts of ways to do it. It's more a matter of what aspects of music do you love, hate, tolerate, what sort of lifestyle do you want... that sort of thing.

gts said:
Isn't "Careers in Music" an oxymoron?
..ahhh a good one...!
-I have wondered as of late if the whole guitar teaching community was being transformed by utube,internet,etc...seems like it might be a lot tougher to make it as a teacher these days..
-of course,down here in the deeeep south, there is no substitute for a full moon, a bottle of wildcat, and some half possessed guitar totin' hasbeen to show the way the the crossroads :twisted:

devilboard-1-1.jpg

lesterpaul said:
gts said:
Isn't "Careers in Music" an oxymoron?
..ahhh a good one...!
-I have wondered as of late if the whole guitar teaching community was being transformed by utube,internet,etc...seems like it might be a lot tougher to make it as a teacher these days..
-of course,down here in the deeeep south, there is no substitute for a full moon, a bottle of wildcat, and some half possessed guitar totin' hasbeen to show the way the the crossroads :twisted:

devilboard-1-1.jpg

Amen

demigod_shredder90234 said:
Teaching is probably the most stable path to go in music which means you basically have 2 options. You can concentrate in music education which a Music Ed degree allows you to teach in almost any school system you'd like. OR the other route is what i am doing, is concentrating in one field of music and getting your masters in it. For example I'm getting my bachelors in Music Composition and will either be going for my masters in theory or composition. Either way if i obtain my masters I can go and teach in private schools or colleges without a music education degree.

This is true. If you have the patience for music school.

I would look seriously into sound design and broadcasting/communication if you want to be a musician as a professional type thing. That is a lot more to do with the practical aspects of music production and dissemination. A good sound engineer is always respected and in-demand. Similarly, a background education in broadcasting and communication can open a lot of doors at labels & A&R departments (not to mention, obviously, radio).

Becoming a luthier or amp repairman, however, is considerably harder unless you've already had an education in electronics/electrical engineering or, in the case of building guitars, a good mentor to show you the ropes.

How's my EC-1000 working out for you, btw?

we even can't ask that question around here (belgium, europe)... it's almost impossible to live from (creative) music here... (bad english ! i know :mrgreen: )

meursault said:
we even can't ask that question around here (belgium, europe)... it's almost impossible to live from (creative) music here... (bad english ! i know :mrgreen: )

"I only speak two languages....English, and Bad English!"

Back