Can't stop being amazed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avi8r2005

Reaction score
Ever since I got this single rec a few weeks ago, I have yet to be let down by this thing. I can't believe how well this amp sounds. I'm obsessive about good tone, and why it took me so long to finally find it in the Mesa Rectifier series is beyond me. I've played solid states for so long and went the way of the modeling amps, a Flextone III XL last year, but it just wasn't doing it for me. Now when I play through this amp, I'm just blown away by it. The cleans are shimmering and bright, just how they should be. I can't wait to try some effects through it to really make it sing. And the gain channels, WOW. Very warm and full sounding, these are finally the sounds I've been looking for for quite awhile. I can't stop experimenting with the eq's and gain modes to see what all the subtle little changes can do for it. Nice work Mesa.

I also got the chance to play a Lone Star in a local shop today, actually the salesman wanted me to play it so show him how to use it and dial in the sounds. This was actually a very cool amp. It has some of the most incredible clean sounds I've heard. Didn't play much with the 2nd channel, but if those bluesy Texas types of sounds were my thing, I would definitely buy one of these, but since I'm more of a high gain lover, the Recs are my choice for now.

Anybody else have this infatuation with their Mesa's?

Welcome to the family! My first Mesa amp was a RKII. Prior to that, I owned a solid-state 90 watt Fender. A considerable jump. When I first tried the RKII out in the shop, I just about crapped my pants. I knew I had to have it. I saved up for about 5 and a half months for the head and a 4x12 recto cab and bought the whole deal in one fell swoop, which set me back about $5500 after taxes and all. My bank was most likely not happy.

I was in the same boat you're in now... constant and utter amazement. And you know what? 2 and a half years later, I'm still there. Every time I crank the RKII up (or my Mark IV which I purchased last April) I'm astounded at the complete depth of the tone. Rich, warm, deep, dark, bright, shimmering, earth-shattering, responsive, inspiring. If you haven't had the chance yet, try running your Single Rect with 2 cabinets hooked up to it and let it rip with a good boost and compressor, in that order, in front of it. If you're into high-gain sounds, this set up will most likely floor you and keep you coming back for more.

/me goes to play guitar.

ive been like this with my triple rectifier to.
my new neighbour has come to my house 6 times in the last 2 weeks, and called the cops twice due to me playing
im sure some you know how loud a TR gets with a 4x12 cranked up to 2o clock on channel and 1oclock master :D

I definitely remember that feeling when I went over to a tube amp... and a dual rec was my first tube amp. Up until 1999 or so I had been playing through a Rocktron setup that I thought sounded amazing. I was super anal about having a brutal yet clear tone. I even had a 500 watt Rocktron Velocity power amp hahahhaha. I went over to a guy's house who had a dual and it pretty much ripped my head off. I was floored that there was something so good out there that I wasn't aware of! So.... about 2 weeks later I had one that I had gotten off of HC. Since then, I've been messing around with tube amps and haven't gone back: a couple of duals, a triple, a couple different tri/2:90 rigs, a 5150, and a Marshall. When I went with my first triaxis setup, I sold my triple. Needless to say that I bought another one a few months back and now I'm experimenting with different multiple amp configurations - it's sure a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back