Can I go stereo without replacing my head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADMENTON

Reaction score
Ok guys,

I would really appreciate any input you have.

This is my situation:
I have a roadster head.
I have two 2X12 Cabs
I have a G-System
I would like to create a stereo setup out of what I have.
Will the results I get be very good if I purchase another power amp to run the right chanel out of the G-System?
Probably a rack amp. I would probably get a simul... 2:90 and eventually look to sell the roadster and get a triaxis or something. I love the tone I have from the roadster but I want stereo effects.

Has anyone got any other suggestions on how to replicate this sort of sounds with more flexibility?

Many thanks.

Hello and welcome to The Board.

Yes, that would work. However, the Roadster does not have a Simul-Class power section so the sound may be different, especially Modern mode tones.

Another option is a Wet/Dry/Wet setup. If you had a third 2X12 you could hook that up to the Roadster (no effects) then use the Slave Out to feed your Stereo amp/effects and cabs.

Dom

hmmm. w/d/w is something I may be interested in however carting all that gear around sounds like a nightmare. I would love to hear a w/d/w setup. By all accounts they sounds amazing but I have never actually experienced one.

the best match for a stereo setup would be another roadster head. so you would have to identical power amp sections.
i´m using a dual recto besides my roadster and the power amps sound different. but the mix of both sounds cool.
the important thing with a stereo setup is, when you switch the roadster to a channel set to modern, the power amp reacts in a different way as in vintage mode.
so to get a balanced stereo-sound you should get an amp / power amp, which has the same "modern" mode behavior as the recto series amps.
for 19" - get the 2:100
for an extra head - get a roadster or dual recto or road king (but this would be very expensive :D )

and yes, i always use two heads and a 19" rack with min load of 5 HE, roadster head and 19" rack in a big case and the second amp sits on top of this case. for live gigs, i often use only one 4x12" cab split to stereo, at bigger stages i use two 4x12 cabs.

and this is the way i hooked it up:
(a few small changes had been made since i draw this diagram)

joes_setup.jpg

If you have 2 cabs ? Your dreams are $300. away.
Pick up a second head. Something cheap w/ similar wattage & power tubes. I picked up a BV 120 on Craig's for $250.
I dropped 4 new JJ 6L6'z & I'm good to go ! You don't need to worry about the pre-amp, you're not going to use it.

Use the "slave out" line from the Roadster, w/ the out put around 9:/10: o'clock.
Connect that to the FX return of the second head.
Connect 1 cab to each head. Place cabs @ opposite sides of the room. Done !!

what i would do is run three cabs, the roadster in the middle dry, then take the slave out from your head and send it to the G-system and then to a stereo power amp, 50/50 or 2:90, then you have your sepperate left and right with your dry in the middle that wont be affected by the reverb tails. Devin Townsend does it like that. I keep picturing a roadster head into a recto 4x12 right behind me and a 2:90 powering two 4x12 recto cabs stage left and stage right with the "cavernous" reverb from my PODxt Pro cranked. it would be fucking HUGE sounding. :shock:

Latest posts

Back