Cabinet Options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Hey guys....I think I'll be getting some form of Cab for my ROV combo soon. I've been seeing a lot of love for 2x12's as opposed to 4x12 when combined with the ROV or other 1x12 combos. Any particular reason for this? It would certainly be easier on the back and the bank account :lol:

ALSO, my friend just told me about a nice B-52 2x12 cab loaded with V-30's....for less than $400!!!!

http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/ST212S.html

Let me know what you think...

Hey Raz,

You're gonna get several options for cabs here, especially 2x12's.....I don't know much about the B-52 cabs, but I know my Rectoverb combo sounded MONSTEROUS through my Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12. I really wish there was a way you could try the B-52 out because that does sound like a petty good deal with the V-30's. There is also quite a bit of love for Avatar cabs.

Good luck in your search and let me/us know what you get.

Laster man

Jason, almost bought an Avatar cab on Ebay....my only concern was the wheat colored grill...just didn't seem "Recto" to me 8). I saw the G-Flex and would love to give them a shot.
Is there any particular affinity for the V30's as opposed to say the C90 or other Celestions? Avatar has one with Emminence, which I know nothing about.

tele_jas said:
Hey Raz,

You're gonna get several options for cabs here, especially 2x12's.....I don't know much about the B-52 cabs, but I know my Rectoverb combo sounded MONSTEROUS through my Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12. I really wish there was a way you could try the B-52 out because that does sound like a petty good deal with the V-30's. There is also quite a bit of love for Avatar cabs.

Good luck in your search and let me/us know what you get.

Laster man

Im going to suggest a 4 x 12 because I am
partial to the fullness of tone and also the
ability for the 4 speakers to soak up wattage
allowing you to turn you master up more.
This allows the tubes to saturate giving you
that great compression people buy tube amps
for. I'll tell you that if you are going to but a
Mesa Recto cab the difference is $550 for te
212 and $850 for the 412. The $300 is worth
it! If you are looking for something easier on
the pocket book, I also own and can speak for
a Marshall 1960A cab with GT-75 speakers in it.
This is a decent 412 cab for $650 new
(prob cheaper on ebay) The sound is a
little more brash from the speakers in the
mid-range but still very full sounding and
clean. Great for metal! :lol: Also even better
on the pocketbook is Avatar www.avatarspeakers.com.
I was checking these guys out the other day
ago, and while I havent played one, you can
get a 4 x 12 for $400 with V30's in it!! What a
steal! Any one out there play one of these
Avatars?? You could also get a 212 for like
$200 with v30's in it-- I would suggest playing
all of these cabs to find the right one for you.
When it comes down to it....your not going to
be happy untill you get the one you think sounds
the best. Go into the music store and plug into
everything they have!! Whats $400 when it only
takes $850 to et the one that you want and the
one that you will keep.(hypathetically) I also
hear that the Orange 412's are incomparable
to others. They have v30's also but sport a
price tag with the #900 or 1000 on it. Plus they
look really cool! Figure out which one you like
the best *with your amp*(bring it to the store
with you and plug into everything). :wink:

I'll add the love for the Avatar! I play my dual recto through a 4x12 loaded with V30s, and it is an amazing cab!

The Avatar 2x12 Premier Vintage would look sweet with a Rectifier:

vintage%20premier%20small%20logo%20400.jpg

And, you can get the special Hellatone 60Ls broken-in English-made Celestion V30 speakers with extended bass response.

for 500 you can get an orange 2 x 12 with vintage 30s.... which id say is much better then the b 52... i mean almost any decent cab starts at 500... so getting an avatar or b52 for 350 i think is not so spectacular but thats just me

Have you considered a 2x10? I'm not sure what type of music you play but 10"s really have a sweet sound for guitar.

diamondschwin said:
for 500 you can get an orange 2 x 12 with vintage 30s.... which id say is much better then the b 52... i mean almost any decent cab starts at 500... so getting an avatar or b52 for 350 i think is not so spectacular but thats just me
Have you ever played an Avatar cab?

My favorite players are Michael Schenker, Gary Moore, Neal Schon and Satch if that helps. Never tried 10's before...might not have enough bottom end for the type of music I play...but you never know..

strumminsix said:
Have you considered a 2x10? I'm not sure what type of music you play but 10"s really have a sweet sound for guitar.

Diamond, what would make the Orange better? The all seem to use 13 ply baltic birch and the same V30's. Also, the only negative for the Orange is that it's....well.....orange . Don't think I'd like the look of my big honking ROV combo on that puppy.:D

diamondschwin said:

TheRazMeister said:
My favorite players are Michael Schenker, Gary Moore, Neal Schon and Satch if that helps. Never tried 10's before...might not have enough bottom end for the type of music I play...but you never know..

strumminsix said:

I'd say if you are a Hard Rock / Metal guy it's not the right choice for you. The bottom end would be very tight but not as low. Plus it would not have the same thump.

yo dawg

get you a mesa 4x12 USED!

I got mine for $500, mint condition.

when I rock my dual recto through it, and I play my phat leads it sounds like angels cumming.

TheRazMeister said:
Diamond, what would make the Orange better? The all seem to use 13 ply baltic birch and the same V30's. Also, the only negative for the Orange is that it's....well.....orange . Don't think I'd like the look of my big honking ROV combo on that puppy.:D

when looking for my 2 x 12 i went through mesas, bogners, marshalls, avatars, ampegs, vox!, and fenders even, and they pretty much sounded the same except for the ampegs, voxes and fenders which sounded just bad with a high gain amp... but the orange sounded different, it gave the amp a different character, it made it much more classic sounding but still had all the modern sounds you could want... and honestly ive only gotten compliments about the orange cabinet... i mean the other end im comming from is im an audio engineer and often ill bring my own amps in for artists and producers.. and the orange for a recording situation is amazing, because it has a more classic sound it is alot better in the studio where you arent going for the hifi sound that doesnt translate to tape as well as it should, anyway the build quality on the orange is amazing and im sure the build quality on avatars etc. are as well from what ive seen but it has a sound that i love and prefer and an image that i think is amazing, it being bright orange only makes it cooler! i actually think when i get a new 4 by 12 i might get an orange or a white hiwatt cabinet because i played through one of those with 2 v30s and two fanes and it was un fricking believable

TheRazMeister said:

when looking for my 2 x 12 i went through mesas, bogners, marshalls, avatars, ampegs, vox!, and fenders even, and they pretty much sounded the same except for the ampegs, voxes and fenders which sounded just bad with a high gain amp... but the orange sounded different, it gave the amp a different character, it made it much more classic sounding but still had all the modern sounds you could want... and honestly ive only gotten compliments about the orange cabinet... i mean the other end im comming from is im an audio engineer and often ill bring my own amps in for artists and producers.. and the orange for a recording situation is amazing, because it has a more classic sound it is alot better in the studio where you arent going for the hifi sound that doesnt translate to tape as well as it should, anyway the build quality on the orange is amazing and im sure the build quality on avatars etc. are as well from what ive seen but it has a sound that i love and prefer and an image that i think is amazing, it being bright orange only makes it cooler! i actually think when i get a new 4 by 12 i might get an orange or a white hiwatt cabinet because i played through one of those with 2 v30s and two fanes and it was un fricking believable

I just wish I had the opportunity to try some of these cabs. Richmond VA isn't exactly Nashville when it comes to selection. We do have a nice hi-end store called Richmond Music, but I don't think I've seen any Orange products.

diamondschwin said:

I ran my Single Recto through a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab for a long time...8 ohms into the 16 ohms in the cab. Had lots of bite, lots of growl, smooth, warm...down right heavenly. Not only that...but if you get a used marshall....well they just look better all ripped up and whatnot. ;)

Back