Buying a mid 90's Mark IV.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scary Guy IRL

Reaction score
Hey. I'm just curious, would you guys be put off by buying a Mark IV from the mid 90's. I understand Mesa's are built like tanks, but the thing is, i live no-where near somewhere that could service a Mesa. And i'm just curious, is there much that could go wrong with one?

I was offered a Mark IV from the Mid 90's, it seems to be in awsome condition, with new Tubes. But it doesn't have the Footswitch. What sorta price would you guys think it would be worth?

I'd really like your input.

Thanks
-Conor D-

hi, don't know about the price because i live in italy and here prices are much higher... however, considering mesa construction standards, a mid 90s amp can be (i can say IS) in really excellent conditions. There are several mark I & II from the first 80s around, and they're still working more than well! Many think that they sound better than some newer models too. I think that you can go buying your mark IV absolutely without worrying... obviously not if you know that it's been damaged by non-standard use.

I've seen two pictures of the Amp. And it looks to be in great condition, no tears etc. So it looks like it was well taken care of.

The guy said that sometimes the EQ LED doesn't work? Could this be a sign of things starting to go wrong? Or am i just being stupid.. lol

Also could someone tell me what the Going rate for a used Mark IV Head is?

Thanks

the led's in mk iv are funny becasue they don't fail they just go alittle dicky...so yeah it's normal to hav an older mk and it do that..sounds great..

My EQ LED sometimes doesn't work but my amp works flawlessly otherwise. It doesn't affect the light on the footswitch so I don't really care at this point provided nothing else heads south.

I think that in my case it might be a slight short because you can tap it slightly and it will come back on. I am assuming that the years of vibration and use have just wiggled the little sucker a little loose.

I owned(and still own one) begin 90's Mark IV.
Both had the problem with the EQ light, so its probably something all Mark IV's share.
Except for that they both worked perfectly.

Being that they typically sell used for around a cool grand with the foot controller I would only expect to pay around $800 or so because a new footswitch will set you back about $240 plus tax and shipping.

Back