Buyers Remorse rambling

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt

Reaction score
So I bought a series 2 50 watt rectoverb combo off of ebay about two weeks ago for $1000, (Yeah I know that's a bit high). Now I can't help feeling that it was just a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong, it's a great amp just way too loud for most situations I'd be playing in. I know I'll never be able to sell it and get back my losses but I don't want the **** thing to sit in a corner most of the time. I guess I'm just feeling too dumb after this purchase instead of actually trying to get rid of it :? Bleh just thought I'd share

what? too loud?....ehh...what'd you say? i couldn't hear you??

just enjoy the nastiness and crank that &%^&$# !!!!!!

I did the same thing with an F-50. Luckily I was able to return it and get my money back. My thoughts upon getting the amp were the same as yours. Not, knocking Boogie and the tone, but for bedroom playing, I felt it was a waste of the amp's tone and money. And I value my hearing too much to blast it for pure sweet mesa distortion.

I feel your pain. I still love Mesa's though.

Isn't that what the volume control is for? Not sure exactly what you are going for. Power tube distortion? Might look into a THD Hotplate or other for that.

1x12 is plenty to keep up with a loud drummer, but if you want to get quieter you might have to look at 1x10s or 1x8s.

Describe what you are trying to achieve other than its just too loud.

haha, I play a Triple Recto Half stack at Bedroom levels, and, to me, it sounds fine. But it really shines in concerts, and i can go from mid-level to arena levels at the turn of a knob, so i just deal with everything else, because is soooo worth it IMO.

\m/
-AJH

Yeah I was looking for that tube saturation distortion but I can't get it without pissing off anyone around me. I had a 30 watt amp before this that I could max out and still be absolutely comfortable around I guess I shouldn't of made my desicion based on that :? So this Hotplate will give me that "cranked" tone without actually destroying my hearing? might be worth investigating

I agree with Mesa ENGR 1000000%!

IMO, hotplates don't mix well with rectifiers...I had one with my recto, and I get better bedroon without it!

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't rectifiers get most of their tone from the preamp anyway? There probably isn't much point in trying to get power tube saturation from a recto. I think mine sounds fine at bedroom volumes, of course it does sound better when cranked. You may have to EQ it differently when playing at low volumes.

if it's any solace: I bought mine for 1300 euro's. That's like 1664 dollars, against the current exchange rate. But that was in 2003.

And if it's any solace, the first weeks I also had a bit of sorrow and a form of self apathy regarding impulsive consumer behaviour. Espescially I could't get used to the tone of tube overdrive (I had a solid state, somehow playing with hi gain on solid state is easier when you're bad in your fingers). But really soon that remorse disappeared and its replaced with a smile evry time you flip that power switch over.

I use my combo (It is not a combo anymore, I rebuilt it to a head and seperate 1x12 speaker, with an additional self built 2x12) also mostly in my bedroom. A small bedroom actually. Ok. the tone is better when used with loud volumes, pre ánd power amps (!), but you can also get really nice tones playing quietly. How many times I haven't played in my bedroom way after midnight, never had a complaint...but I was also totally drunk =)

Melvin1011 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't rectifiers get most of their tone from the preamp anyway? There probably isn't much point in trying to get power tube saturation from a recto. I think mine sounds fine at bedroom volumes, of course it does sound better when cranked. You may have to EQ it differently when playing at low volumes.

Not true, there's a completely different distortion (preamp mostly = fizzy and brash) and (postamp = warm, smooth distortion). Rectos get a bad name mostly because people run the volumes too low and only get fizz.

Hunt....grab a Boss ME-50 multi-effects pedal and run it in front of your amp. There are a bunch of stomps on that pup that will sound pretty good on your clean.....and you can turn it down as low as you want to.

I use one in front of my live Roadster rig for chorus, delay, compression, wah, and tuner. The stomps are an added fun-bonus when I'm at bedroom volume.

And I payed $220 for it on Ebay.

Latest posts

Back