Brand NEW DUAL RECTO... popping sounds???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_85

Reaction score
Hi All, I have just bought my first mesa dual recto amp, and all is good apart from a popping sound when im changing modes (vintage, modern etc), only happens sometimes, is this normal? Sounds to me like dust in the pots or faulty pots maybe.

Cheers for any answers

Hello Adam,

First of all welcome. :)

On to your question. This is a very common thing, I believe it's due to static buildup in the foot controller. The best method for fixing this is to leave your amp in standby when you turn it on and cycle through the channels a few times via foot switch before switching to on.

I used to have this issue but it went away over time/use.

Let us know if this works for you.

mine channel switching popped as well until i swapped the V1 with a 12at7

the reason for the swap was the original 12ax7 pretty grainy/buzzy, and that totally improved

so 2 problems fixed by changing 1 tube

good luck

Platypus said:
Hello Adam,

First of all welcome. :)

On to your question. This is a very common thing, I believe it's due to static buildup in the foot controller. The best method for fixing this is to leave your amp in standby when you turn it on and cycle through the channels a few times via foot switch before switching to on.

I used to have this issue but it went away over time/use.

Let us know if this works for you.

+1-- That definatly fixes mine as well--

I'm not sure we're getting the question! Is it about switching modes within a channel or switching channels! He's asking about modes, I'm thinking the switching of the mode toggle! Which I'd imagine (also) a static pop would be normal?

Ah, you're exactly right jbird, I read vintage/modern as channel 2/3 out of habit. It's normal for it to make some noise when toggling between modes, but I'm not sure a loud pop is normal, at least not the kind of pop you'd get from the channel switching problem I thought you were talking about.

i'm actually getting a very similar if not the same problem.

when i first turn on my recto and i switch to the 2nd channel for the first time only i got a loud pop and then after that it's gone and that's the only channel that does that.

turmoil said:
i'm actually getting a very similar if not the same problem.

when i first turn on my recto and i switch to the 2nd channel for the first time only i got a loud pop and then after that it's gone and that's the only channel that does that.

You have the problem I thought this poster did, read my first reply and let us know if that helps you at all

i'll definetly have to try that out when i get home tomorrow.
thanks for the tip!

jbird said:
I'm not sure we're getting the question! Is it about switching modes within a channel or switching channels! He's asking about modes, I'm thinking the switching of the mode toggle! Which I'd imagine (also) a static pop would be normal?

yeh i was meaning switching modes in each channel gives a pop sound... but like im getting told its normal, i just cant remeber it happening when i was tring a different recto. Thanks very much ppl... the footswitch sounds are solved after switching through channels at start up.

thank you all again.

Latest posts

Back