Boosting a Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been curious about the BB in a while - ever since that Andy Timmons video surfaced on YouTube. I'm just not sure where to locate one in the UK?

Other options I'd considered were the Fulldrive 2 or a Keeley TS808/TS9?

I LOVE my Analogman Silver Mod TS-9...really liked the stock TS-9, but this one is just a step above.

IMO, the TS-9 is the boost pedal!

I use:

T-Rex Michael Angelo Overdrive
DOD YJM308
Ibanez TS-9

I would like to try the BB Preamp, I think it will be the next one for me!

I just tried this the other day and can't stop. I am running a KLON with dials left to right: 9 o'clock, 12 midnight, 10:00 o'clock and then into a Keeley modified TS-808 dialed left to right: 0, 11 o'clock, midnight. I am using the standard Petrucci settings on Lead with a PRS McCarty with McCarty pickups. It is perfect for me. You can dial the gain down as you turn up the volume.

Cabs for this setup are: Recto horiz 2x12 open back underneath a Mesa 1x15 open back with an EV (formerly Steve Miller's cab). I picked it up a couple months ago for $300. He was selling all of his touring gear. at the local shop.

I hit my R2 with a homemade mosfet booster. You could try a Catlinbred Chile Picasso or a Zvex SHO.

It gives a good amount of boost without a lot of noise or excess fizz.

Scott

scottywompas said:
I hit my R2 with a homemade mosfet booster. You could try a Catlinbred Chile Picasso or a Zvex SHO.

It gives a good amount of boost without a lot of noise or excess fizz.

Scott
I have a Super Chili Picoso. I use it on everything and never turn it off. It even makes the cleans sound better. I'd say it is the only pedal I'd refuse to be without.

Ok, I'm confused now... the MKIV has so much gain already, why even run an OD pedal? What's the advantage? More choices with each channel?

ruso said:
Ok, I'm confused now... the MKIV has so much gain already, why even run an OD pedal? What's the advantage? More choices with each channel?
For R2, yes, they do it to get more gain, coz for a lot of people, R2 lacks some balls. For lead channel, most people usually set the gain relatively lower for rhythm, then boost it to get more for solos. But, boosting doesn't necessarily mean that much more gain, most of the time it's just more compression with some added overtone from the boost pedal.

~trem

Zendrive!!!!

Awesome pedal. Well worth the money you spend on them, and I have never owned ANY boutique pedals at all. I really thought boutique pedals were silly... "why would you pay so much for a distortion box???" kinda deal... but seriously, this pedal made me change my thinking.

ruso said:

I use it to smooth out the sound and increase the sustain. I'm not using overdrive pedals to get more distortion. The MKIV has enough gain for me.

Also the T-Rex MAB is great to add some mids with. Really smooth mids.

The Bad Monkey is an inexpensive option, especially if you can find one used - I'm sure there are better boosts, but it's pretty decent.

BB Preamp,just remember not to over kill the gain.I myself keep it on around 8 OR 8:30...

Back