Boost/Distortion pedals for Rectifiers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPIndustrie

Reaction score
Hey.

I think my next purchase for my amp will probably be a distortion/boost pedal to 'slam' the front end. I keep hearing from you guys all these great things from boosting the front end and interested in trying out.

Can you guys name some boosters and pedals you could recommend for this, preferable for a low price? I've heard the benefits of slamming the front end, better gain, better lead tones - is this true?

Anybody have any 'cheap' recommendations and soundclips? Thanks.

I just picked up a Zakk Wylde pedal. I personally found it to be effective only as a boost, but as a stand-alone distortion pedal you won't be happy if you're looking for blazing sound. It's jsut an overdrive, and I think it's overpriced also ($89). I do have to say, though, that I thought I had sustain BEFORE adding the boost. I could not believe the improvement once the boost was on, great sustain and controlled feedback.

i've also been wondering the same thing.

I currently use an Ibanez TS9. it really does make a HUGE difference for rectifiers but i'd like to know about the Maxon pedals and even the BBE sonic stomp.

I have a Roadster and I'm using a boss sd-1 and a tubescreamer. I use the tube screamer with a little gain (around 12 o'clock) only when I want to add some grit to the clean or brit channel and it works great! For the recto tones I use the boss as a clean boost. It really does make a difference and for the recto tones I always have it on. The roadster really seems to like it. No, I don't ever use both at the same time.

The TS gives more of a vintage distortion while the boss suits the recto tones better. The boss also works pretty well with the clean channels but the TS doesn't sound as good on the recto channels (to my tastes at least).

Best thing is to use the 30 day try out with guitar center or MF and try as many as you can with your rig. That's the only way to really get what you want.

I've never tried the maxon. I did try the zakk wylde overdrive and the MXR Distortion plus and didn't like them as much. The other guitar player in our band uses the zakk overdrive just as a lead boost and he seems to like it. I just use the solo boost on the RS.

Maxon OD820.
expensive but worth every penny
google it and read up on it, everything they say is true.
there was a very detailed comparison done between it and the Klon Centaur and the Maxon smoked the Centaur.

Good luck finding the right pedal! 8)

Any of the Xotic pedals: the AC Booster, RC Booster, or the BB Preamp are sweet pedals. The Maxon stuff is top drawer along with the Klon. Boss isn't super expensive but I like their pedals. How good these pedals will sound will depend on your guitar and pickups too.

I agree with Stratman, play everything you can get your hands on. Something will stand out. :D

Latest posts

Back