boogie w/marshall sounds

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdog11

Reaction score
Does Boogie make an amp that can get some plexi type sounds?
I was thinking Rectoverb head w/el34's. Maybe a Mullard in v1
Thoughts - experiences? Thanks. I just cant get myself to spend an
unbelievable Marshall price for the sound your getting.

Have you played a Stiletto? I've tried the Deuce and I love it. I think you can get any Marshall sound you want, and then some, from this head.

I agree with cvansickle and nu-tra...the stilletto is Mesa's direct answer to Marshall, just better in my opinion. Channel 2 and 3 on my Road King are set up for Marshall tones, and do an excellent job in my opinion. Overall, I think most of the Rectos, RKs, and Stillettos cop the Marshall tone just fine, but with the extra Mesa goodies at your fingertips.

RB

Also if you want to try out a stilletto ask if they can put el 34's in... Marsha;s tend to come with them

nu-tra said:
Also if you want to try out a stilletto ask if they can put el 34's in... Marsha;s tend to come with them
Those are stock on the Stiletto. Being an EL34 amp is the whole reason for its existence.

Which EL34's come stock in the Stiletto's? I ask because they look a little taller and skinnier than the EL34's in my Road King.

ive played the stilleto and my initial reaction and final oppinion is this:
marshall does EL34 better. the stilleto sounded increadibly sterile
to me, no richness or anything. granted, ive heard what EL34's can
do for mid 90's t-recs, and i was blown away.
i dunno, just didnt care for it at all.

My Nomad 45 with it's (extreme) switch in the extreme mode, sounds
EXACTLY like my JCM800 1-12 when the boogie is on channel 3 in modern mode. No one has discussed this yet. With my strat in the neck pick up, I'm channelling Jimi.

The Marshall is being used by my son from now on.

vulture2600 said:
ive played the stilleto and my initial reaction and final oppinion is this:
marshall does EL34 better. the stilleto sounded increadibly sterile
to me, no richness or anything. granted, ive heard what EL34's can
do for mid 90's t-recs, and i was blown away.
i dunno, just didnt care for it at all.

I felt the same way. I wasn't very impressed with that amp. My JCM 800 sounds thicker and smoother to me.

actually, i take that back. we had the mesa boogie rep come into the store last week and give us the lowdown on the amps internal bells and whistles. now im VERY impressed by the thing. i was having some problems with their eq's, but ive learned that they are extreemely touch and require a lot of time to dial in the exact sound you want.
go try one at a reasonable volume.

vulture2600 said:
actually, i take that back. we had the mesa boogie rep come into the store last week and give us the lowdown on the amps internal bells and whistles. now im VERY impressed by the thing. i was having some problems with their eq's, but ive learned that they are extreemely touch and require a lot of time to dial in the exact sound you want.
go try one at a reasonable volume.
can you go into more detail about dialing in the stiletto ? i have one and they are a bit tricky.

well fluid drive is almost like a petrucci lead sound, real smooth with not alot of mids and highs, nothing like a marshall. tite gain however is completely marshall sounding, specially when cranked. start with the gain at about 12-9 oclock and eq's all flat till you get the sound you like.
remember, eq's are very touchy so the tiniest change can have a huge impact.

vulture2600 said:
well fluid drive is almost like a petrucci lead sound, real smooth with not alot of mids and highs, nothing like a marshall. tite gain however is completely marshall sounding, specially when cranked. start with the gain at about 12-9 oclock and eq's all flat till you get the sound you like.
remember, eq's are very touchy so the tiniest change can have a huge impact.
so are you saying you like this beast afterall :wink:

Most Boogie owners are going to think the Stiletto has too much high end. I played one for a couple of days before I got my Lonestar. Understand that the general characteristic of el34 tubes will result in more high end, more breakup, less bass and a "grittier" overdrive sound. Or, thinner and grainier if you don't like that sort of thing. I A/Bd a couple dual recs yesterday, one with el34s and one with 6l6s and I loved the el34 tone in the rec. But it is a different amp. But you can dial in a pretty close Stiletto/Marshall tone.

I've noticed quite a few Mesa guys putting this amp down and I think it's just because they don't like that tone. A lot of younger players are weaned on "thump, thump" and endless gain and assume that is what a good rock amp is about. That is not available in the Stiletto. However, I think if you gave a lot of these same guys Eddie Van Halen's or Jimmy Page's Superleads they wouldn't like them either. The el34s sound great with a low gain setting (a'la EVH) and respond great with OD pedals like the tubescreamers.

Anyway, if you want a Marshall type tone out of your Boogie, try putting in some el34s. You can get pretty **** close.

jpage said:
Most Boogie owners are going to think the Stiletto has too much high end. I played one for a couple of days before I got my Lonestar. Understand that the general characteristic of el34 tubes will result in more high end, more breakup, less bass and a "grittier" overdrive sound. Or, thinner and grainier if you don't like that sort of thing. I A/Bd a couple dual recs yesterday, one with el34s and one with 6l6s and I loved the el34 tone in the rec. But it is a different amp. But you can dial in a pretty close Stiletto/Marshall tone.

I've noticed quite a few Mesa guys putting this amp down and I think it's just because they don't like that tone. A lot of younger players are weaned on "thump, thump" and endless gain and assume that is what a good rock amp is about. That is not available in the Stiletto. However, I think if you gave a lot of these same guys Eddie Van Halen's or Jimmy Page's Superleads they wouldn't like them either. The el34s sound great with a low gain setting (a'la EVH) and respond great with OD pedals like the tubescreamers.

Anyway, if you want a Marshall type tone out of your Boogie, try putting in some el34s. You can get pretty **** close.

Couldnt agree more. To be honest im not the biggest fan of rectos sound but i admit its a quality amp, as all of mesa boogies are. There just different tones for different people.

Stiletto ...

Read Guitar Player Magazine June 2005 issue (Carlos on the front cover) the review on M/B Stiletto:

'74 Marshall 50 watt non-Master tone,
post-1975 2203/4's master volume Marshall
JCM 800

are mentioned what the Stiletto could duplicate and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Editor's Choice.
Kudos: "Ton's of hip features. An astouding range of tantalizing tones, Road-proven durability."

Concerns: None!

'nough said.

I want one (maybe two) :cry:

Latest posts

Back