Boogie Studio preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orkestra

Reaction score
Hello there!
Im about to get my grimey hands on this lump of tone... i however can find relatively little online about it! I've got the user Manual... but aside from that, no information on tones it produces.

I play tech/thrash/death metal... you know the type. Im looking to attain the Lamb of God MKIV tone, to a certain extent. Is this achievable?

Also what would be the best way to run it? I have an ENGL Powerball but I was idealy looking to have start a rack... Are there any particular Power Amps that it works/doesn't work well with?

Over here old Marshall Power Amps are a dime a dozen as you would say, would it crank?

Congrats on getting the studio pre, I love mine!!

With regards to the LOG tone, it is well achievable with the studio pre. I also find a tubescreamer/bad monkey sounds great in front of it to tighten the tone.

Poweramp wise I play mine through an EL84 equipped Engl Poweramp and a 6L6 based Mesa Fifty/Fifty. The Engl sounds great for leads but for all round heaviness you cant beat the 6L6 sound 8)

2 rack spaces. It will be ballpark Lamb of God but not dead-on as they use Mark IV's and the Studio Pre is a bit different but close. I pair mine up with a Mesa 50/50 power amp and it is great, very crunchy and heavy but also very smooth for soloing.

If I were you,I will pick triaxis and 2.90.
All mark series tones and plus programable !
:D

It's very similar to the preamp section of the Mark IIC+.
It was intended to be used with the older Simul-Class 295, or the Strategy 400 power amps. The 50/50 was introduced later, and a lot of Mesa owners say that's the best match for it. I'll let you know as soon as I retube my new to me 50/50.
For Thrash & Death Metal, I would suggest running something before the Studio to boost the input. The most popular piece in the early 90's was the Furman PQ-3, but I think you could use just about anything with a clean boost.

Latest posts

Back