Bolt on neck or Set-in that is the question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar Neck Preference

• Bolt-on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Set-in

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Rocky said:
Maybe you need to work on your hand positioning....
Well as it's impossible to place my hand where there is already wood, I'd say it doesn't have much to do with my hand positioning. What I was saying was that whilst bolt-on necks may be fine, the upper access on a neck-through is unparalleled, and that's more important to me than being able to replace the neck.

camsna said:
Really? I've never played a set-neck with 24th fret access. What are you playing with a set neck that offers that kind of access?

PS - Suhr Modern - 24 frets. Bolt-on. Freaking killer.
Sorry, I was referring to neck-through rather than set necks, which I've not used.

carlsoti said:
stadidas said:
how often do you snap the neck on a guitar?
Once was enough to sway my opinion. That doesn't mean that I WON'T play a set neck guitar. It's just that, for what I'm willing to spend on a guitar, the bolts usually fare better.
Fair enough; let's hope you don't have any more expensive mishaps!

i'm quite happy with my bolt-on... really good sustain, kick tone...

my next guitar will be a set-neck (i'm thinking about a gibbie DC, not the pro, or a gordon smith GS2)... not because i think it's better, only to have something different...

Anywhere you have a joint, glued or bolted, you are going to disipate vibrational energy to the environment through that "seam" or joint". This is just a simple fact of physics, especialy because sound travels faster through a solid than it does through a liquid or gas, increasing the frequency that the vibrations will transverse the length of the guitar scale. the poster above who stated that a glue on or bolt on neck compresses better than a through neck is mistaken. that "compression" actually disrupts the vibrations through a solid top guitar. For this reason, a through neck, consisting of a single peice of wood will resonate better than a bolt on or glued on neck. I am sure dogs can hear a difference, but a human would be hard pressed to distinguish sonic differences, except perhaps in the length of sustain a guitar can achieve. the less vibrational energy you lose through seams or joints, the longer the vibrations can reverberate through the material. Many super high end, handcrafted guitars are neck through for this reason.

anybody who knows anything about physics would know that facts are subject to change. much moreso than opinions so lets just stick with those

Fatoni: measurable facts are not subject to change. Interpertations are. You can actually MEASURE the resonance difference of all three options, keeping all other factors static. the real kicker with all the research is if this improved harmonic resonance actualy translates to more "percievable" sustain. That is a judgment call, and highly variable from individual to individual. If nothing else it has been proven to add to the monetary quality and durability of guitars. Hell, don't get me wrong: I still love my bolt on strat neck, and through my BOOGIE, sustain is not an issue.

zappaslaughter said:
Anywhere you have a joint, glued or bolted, you are going to disipate vibrational energy to the environment through that "seam" or joint". This is just a simple fact of physics, especialy because sound travels faster through a solid than it does through a liquid or gas, increasing the frequency that the vibrations will transverse the length of the guitar scale. the poster above who stated that a glue on or bolt on neck compresses better than a through neck is mistaken. that "compression" actually disrupts the vibrations through a solid top guitar. For this reason, a through neck, consisting of a single peice of wood will resonate better than a bolt on or glued on neck. I am sure dogs can hear a difference, but a human would be hard pressed to distinguish sonic differences, except perhaps in the length of sustain a guitar can achieve. the less vibrational energy you lose through seams or joints, the longer the vibrations can reverberate through the material. Many super high end, handcrafted guitars are neck through for this reason.

There are actually not a lot of super high end neck thru makers out there....in the ultra high end bolt on and set neck guitars are king.

zappaslaughter said:

There are actually not a lot of super high end neck thru makers out there....in the ultra high end bolt on and set neck guitars are king.

zappaslaughter said:
Fatoni: measurable facts are not subject to change. Interpertations are. You can actually MEASURE the resonance difference of all three options, keeping all other factors static. the real kicker with all the research is if this improved harmonic resonance actualy translates to more "percievable" sustain. That is a judgment call, and highly variable from individual to individual. If nothing else it has been proven to add to the monetary quality and durability of guitars. Hell, don't get me wrong: I still love my bolt on strat neck, and through my BOOGIE, sustain is not an issue.

facts do change on every possible physical and metaphysical level. its actually the only way to explain life as we know it. im bored so i could do this all day :shock:

One could sit here and argue all day long about which method is better, but in the end, does it really matter? If a guitar sounds and plays good, does it really matter if it's a bolt-on, set, or neck through?

IMO, there is more to a guitar than just the neck mounting.

If we spent as much time practicing playing our guitars as we do arguing about them, we would all be better players.

mikey383 said:
One could sit here and argue all day long about which method is better, but in the end, does it really matter? If a guitar sounds and plays good, does it really matter if it's a bolt-on, set, or neck through?

If we spent as much time practicing playing our guitars as we do arguing about them, we would all be better players.

youre only saying that because you have a c-1 classic...alright guys. dont mind me anymore. im just pissed about school and would rather argue on the internet than with my teacher. while ive played boltons set necks and thrus, by far my most expensive and quality guitars have been all been ernie balls or ibanez. everything else was made in korea (i do love the c1 however)

This is hilarious! I guess all these players can't afford top quality guitars and had to settle for bolt ons! LMAO

Steve Vai Bolt on
Satriani Bolt on
Eric johnson Mainly Bolt ons
Malmsteen Bolt on
Vaughn Bolt on
Van Halen Bolt on
Hendrix Bolt on
Gilmour Bolt on
Morse Bolt on
Jeff Beck Bolt on
Clapton Bolt on
Petrucci Bolt on
Timmons Bolt on

Should I stop or keep on going?

I'm thinking of getting a new neck with a flatter radius... I love my guitar but not the stock Fender neck... I'll just go buy a new neck and bolt it on ;) nice and versatile.

Set necks are fine but I prefer the flexability of a bolt on.

fatoni said:
facts do change on every possible physical and metaphysical level. its actually the only way to explain life as we know it. im bored so i could do this all day :shock:
I disagree, a measurable fact is just that, a measurable fact. An impartial, unbiased, and accurate measurement of information will not lie.

Information or opinions can be mislabeled as "fact". For instance: It was once a known fact that the sun (as well as the rest of the universe) revolved around the Earth. They could not scientifically prove that the Earth was the center of the universe, but at the time it seemed like the most logical explanation, and so it was erroneously labeled a fact.

However, the resonance of a guitar can be scientifically measured and proven, and as such, is a fact, not an opinion.

If a guitar's body absorbs too much of the string's vibrations it kills sustain.

'Resonance' is a double edged sword.

fatoni said:
mikey383 said:

youre only saying that because you have a c-1 classic...alright guys. dont mind me anymore. im just pissed about school and would rather argue on the internet than with my teacher. while ive played boltons set necks and thrus, by far my most expensive and quality guitars have been all been ernie balls or ibanez. everything else was made in korea (i do love the c1 however)

Actually, if you read my sig, I have a neck-thru, 2 set necks, and 2 bolt on electrics. Even though the C1 is my main guitar (just because I like how it plays) I use all of them. I'm not partial to any specific mounting method.

You guys keep arguing over what mounting is better. I'm going to go play my guitars now.

Wow, this has been really informative. I never really knew any of those players played bolt-on necks and I DEFINATELY didn't know any 'good' players prefer'd bolt ons! This is crazy, lol. I guess where I'm from they just aren't popular. A lot of the locals down bolt-ons and such. I try to stay pretty objective and open-minded myself and that's why I started this post. I live in NE Kentucky and this is once again ANOTHER area where our appalachian culture seems to let ignorance rule instead of educating ourselves. My friend is the FIRST person I've ever heard say they PREFER bolt-ons. He's caught a lot of flak for it but now I know the truth. The actual sustain is negligable and the ease of repair is a plus. So it pretty much just boils down to preferance. Thanks a lot for all of the input guys, very much appreciated!

i dont like most bolt ons just because of the clunky joint. but that being said my main guitar is a PRS bolt on, which doesnt have the big square joint like others tend to have

A well made guitar built to very tight tolerances it will not matter what method of neck joint is used. You guys are talking about how much glue is used constructing the guitar eliminating sustain transference. What about a bolt on guitar that is using a 2-3 piece neck and a 2 piece body that is topped? Quite a lot of wood used there. More so than a neck through using quartersawn neck wood with body wings with no top. Both use more glue in construction than say a SG standard. Which sounds better? Depends on who builds the guitar, and to what tolerances the guitars are built to.

Does a Suhr or Anderson sound better than a top of the line Fender? Does a Gibson sound better than a PRS? Does a Moser sound better than a BC Rich or Jackson? Depends on the person building the guitar in all circumstances and how much quality control goes into each guitar.

People mention a Bolt on is easier to repair, yes that it true, a Set neck and Neck through follow suit in order of repair difficulty. But how often does one really break their guitars outside of accidental damage?

Latest posts

Back