Bogner 2x12 or Recto 2x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
I need a 2x12 cab to go with a Road King to play mostly modern hard rock (Alter Bridge, Velvet Revolver, Audioslave, etc..).

Would you recommend the Bogner large 2x12 or the Recto 2x12?

barneyc4 said:
I need a 2x12 cab to go with a Road King to play mostly modern hard rock (Alter Bridge, Velvet Revolver, Audioslave, etc..).

Recto 2x12 man. Not much can compete with them.

I hear a lot of good about both. The best cab in the world will not sound great if the speakers in the box are not the "flavor" you are looking for.

I personally cannot stand V30's (they sound like potato chips "crunching" away in a TV commercial, IMHO). But, I got a used Mesa vertical Recto 2x12, and put my own flavor of speakers in it.

Used Mesa Rectos are less expensive, and far more plentiful. You can always sell the speakers out of a cab to get some money back, after you decide on the speaker flavor, if you wish.

Personally i like the bogner cabs, but don't get me wrong recto cabs are great too. The big thing you need to think about though is the speakers you will put in it, V30's are good but there are a lot of options to consider.

I think the Bogners have insulation inside, while the Mesa cabs have none. The insulation seems add quite a bit of depth to the sound.

Insulation in a speaker cabinet adds to the depth of the sound of the speaker. It is commonly known that in order for a speaker to act as if it has more cubic feet of cabinet you add fill. This works for most larger speakers that need more air volume inside the cabinet. The fill allows your bassier notes more time before having to leave the cabinet. This relates to soundwave lengths, speeds, and distances that they must travel before you hear them. It is funny because some people put 12" subs in a car that is too small that obviously dictates the size of the cabinet and the real appreciation is outside the car. The lower frequencies that appreciate the fill are typically in the bass register but a guitar cab can benefit from it too. There have been many that put fill in their cabinets going back a long time. Just a thought, if you decide to put fill in your cabinet use polyfill instead of fiberglass insulation. It is less messy and you won't have the glass to deal with if you open the cabinet. To use any kind of fill, you just begin reasonably and add more until you find the sound that you are looking for. Another approach is to line the inside of the cab with sheet foam. This approach is cleaner but you don't want to adhere it until you determine exactly where and how much you want first. The polyfill tends to be easier to remove like pillow stuffing but the sheet foam will stay where you glue it.

barneyc4 said:

Most people, especially on non-Mesa specific forums will always say the Bogner.

I have a Roadking 2x12 cab and I love it, and I don't even have a Roadking :).

Sounds great with all my amps.....

Latest posts

Back