bias on roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbright

Reaction score
i think I may have strained a few tubes. I played the roadster for a couple of sets with the bias switched to el34 with the stock 6l6's. what would the most likely damage be? I am not happy with my clean tone. should I be concerned about this as a repair..or just start trading out some preamp tubes to improve channel 1. when I am playing I noticed the last 2 power tubes not lit up as much as the other pt's.

well...guess this must have been a stupid question...but still what possible damage can be done by switching the bias to el34 with 6l6's in the amp?

You probably burned alot of life out of the 6L6's. I'm suprised you didn't 'red plate' one. Good thing Mesa's are biased on the cooler side :shock:

You say you are not happy with channel 1. Do you mean you are not happy now after using the wrong bias setting, or you were never happy with it before.

If your sound has changed since the bias setting mis-match you have most likely set yourself up for a re-tube of 6L6's. If any thing else is wrong it will show up after the retube, but if the amp is not blowing fuses you should be OK.

Dom

Have done the same thing myself, and burned up a resistor. Nothing major just the pain of having my amp fixed, and the embarrassment of not paying attention to what the hell I was doing:( Put some new tubes in and see if that fixes the problem. A quick look at the resisters under the power tube section of the PC board will tell you if one is burned up, OR if you clean channel sounds out of whack Like it is out of phase or half wave sounding, time for the repairman. Don't be to worried it is a quick and inexpensive repair.

I see that the last 2 power tubes on the left are not as bright when amp is powered up and warmed up. I used all options...bold,spongy, recto,diode 50 watt and 100w settings. the last 2 still don't light up like the others. I will get a couple and change them out.

Back