Best speaker for S.O.B. combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conroy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been playing and enjoying an early 80's S.O.B. open back combo. I believe it's around 50 watts. I'd like to put a better 12" speaker in it. I've been using an EV Force 16 Ohm speaker plugged into the 8 Ohm output. Maybe that's why I'm not getting as much loud clean volume as I would like. I've been looking into the Eminence Wizard. Any suggestions or alternatives?
Thanks,
Conroy

Tried out the 8 ohm Eminence Wizard speaker. It was a bit louder sounding. The sound improved somewhat with burn in time but it didn't sound nearly as sweet as the EV Force 16 ohm speaker plugged into the amp's 8 ohm output. I put the EV back into the amp. Much better! There's a juicy character that kicks in with loud solos. It's more emotional sounding with the 16 ohm speaker. It's more fun to play. Maybe it's because I'm stressing the S.O.B.'s output stage.

I've never played an SOB before, but from what I hear they are similar to the mark series. If thats the case, I am sure that a EVM-12L or a C90 would sound great. I love the way my EVM-12L sounds through my markII.

Interesting. The EVM-12L and the C90 seem like the classics. I take it that both of those speakers are 8 ohms? I'd love to test drive those speakers in my S.O.B.

Yeah, not the most original suggestion on my part :lol: , but on the other hand, they are classics for a reason. Im not sure what ohms they come in. I believe my EVM-12L is 8ohms. Goodluck, let me know how your speaker search turns out!

Just bought a second hand Celestion G12H-100 for $125. I'm about to install it. I'll let you know how it goes...

Wasn't very impressed with the Celestion G12H-100. Not much bottom end. Kind of gritty on the top. Oh well, the search continues.

You should try a EVM 12L. It is clear as a bell @ 200watts. You could snag one on ebay for around $125. Goodluck!

Latest posts

Back