Best pedal with your boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 ... It sounds soooooooo good with this pedal in front of my Mark IV.

I have a small pedal board, the Pedal Train Jr. I run a Peterson Strobo Stomp> Keeley Compressor>Homebrew THC Chorus>Boss Tremelo>SPF I-5 Delay.

I tried using a GT-6, although wanted to simplify and make quicker adjustments with on the fly. I've heard "less is more" so I'm trying to stick with a few basics.

For overdrive I am currently diggin' my Zendrive -> BJF Honey Bee into my LSS Drive Channel with light breakup dialed in.

I use a Radial Tonebone Classic, or a Keeley Modded TS-808 into the front of my Mesa Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 rig. Both distortion pedals are now my main sources of overdrive sounds with this rig, and they sound great! I just set the Studio Pre on "clean", and never change it. My other pedals are:

EB Volume Pedal Jr.
Fulltone Clyde Wa (or Teese Picture Wa)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
2 Voodoo Lab Pedal Powers (I & II)
Fulltone Fatboost
Keeley Compressor
Fulltone Supatrem
Voodoo Lab MicroVibe
Ibanez EVH Phase 90
Boss Chorus Ensemble
Boss RV-5 Reverb
L6 Tone Core Echo Park
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay

I'm having a 37"X 13" pedalboard being made, and should get it in a few weeks. It will have a shelf to hide the 2 VL Pedal Powers. George L's for all connections. And Evidence Audio cables for all connections to the amp.

I've never been big on effects, distortions, or overdrives. I also believe in the notion "less is more." Keeping my signal chain as short as possible. Having said all that the only pedal I have between my guitar and amp is a RMC Picture Wah.

CJ

wellp...when i made this post i had nothing....now:

ibanez de-7
voodoo labs sparkledrive
hao rust driver
boss ph-1r
ehx pulsar
ehx holy grail

and a fuzz face clone kit from byoc is in the mail. whats next?
could use a wah, and maybe a ross compressor clone kit as well...

less is more? your right. i still spend alot of time just plugging straight in, but for the style of music i play and love, these pedals add texture and space.

i play ALOT of clean, like..90% of the time. i figure high-gain is just another effect. id compare my music to bands like do make say think, sigur ros and godspeed you black emperor, where the guitar isnt used so much in the typical manner, as it is for creating textures and moods...soak it in heavy reverb and do some minor volume chord swells... playing without effects at one point during the song would be an effect in itself, a sort of clarity. i don't NEED the effects to get my point accross, but it just lets me use the guitar for some unconventional guitar sounds(think of sigur ros, the lead guitarist uses a cello bow most of the while. while i dont do this, i do achieve the same sound in other ways.)..

ok so maybe your guitar looks like a special fx machine :D
so if you are happy with your sound keep it on, in a purist way the less fx the cleaner you play, but everyone is a entire world and we can not decide for example the best fx pedal because everyone have different tastes.

I've been able to get some great OD stuff going with the Barber Burn Unit in front of my IIC+. One channel for a little boost nudge, the next for craziness. Then with the dirty channel on the amp...lots ot permutations and choices. In fact, probably too many tweaky things to do with these. I'm ditching the IIC+ and going with a smaller and simpler rig.

I played through an Ibanez AD-9 and really liked it at lot - imaginging the Keeley mods to it would make it delicious!

Fender reverb unit in the loop on the DR ... a Burris Boostier out front, sometimes after an overdrive or fuzz unit.

Analogman Maxon OD / Mxr 10 band Eq/ Tc Electronics delay in the loop.

Of the three ? The MXR EQ. Will never play without it again.

+1 for whatever works for you is right.

The trick is to make sure whatever you do inspires your creativity, rather than substitutes for it. If you find yourself constantly out of ideas, stepping on a pedal, then playing the same stale lick that you were already bored with, you probably want to dig a little deeper than that.

If a raw tone gets the juices flowing but a wet one doesn't, there you have it, easy decision. and vice versa. Also, mix things up every once and a while to make sure that what you like hasn't changed, because sometimes that is what humans do, we change. I used to hate mustard when I was a kid, but now I love it. Glad I stopped to try it again down the road!

remember, you can be pre-dispositioned to believe whatever you want, but its only the end result that matters. Your ears are the ultimate litmus tests.

I look at MY effects use as another part of the creative improvisational aspect of my playing. I intentionally layer and tweak things to come up with unexpected sounds, often on the fly in a song. Step on this, tap tempo that, use my wah as a sweep EQ (rather than to go wakachika) to find that perfect frequency response, etc... In turn the tones I come up with often inspire different responses in my playing.

as a good buddy of mine once said, there's an alchemy to it..

I find that it keeps me out of my comfort zone. Certain "stock" licks won't come off well through certain efffects and tones. Instead I have to stay present in the moment in order to produce something that works well with that particular sound.

While this approach isn't for everyone, I really enjoy it. Then again, sometimes I go to a side gig with nothing but amp& guitar just to make sure that I am not in a overly dependant relationship :lol: .

also, try using gear in less than traditional ways, don't just try and emulate what you have heard it do. This is helpful for learning how to use something, but after a bit, experiment with it. I love using my wah as a foot based EQ rather than rocking it back and forth constantly. Its not a new approach, but when I was younger I thought all they were good for was 70's movie soundtracks (not dissing as they are cool 8) ).

As you can tell, my object is to keep things as fresh as possible for myself. Stagnation is my arch nemesis!!

happy exploring!

musicbox said:
I owned a Boss Gt-6 for the longest time, but the ditigal edge it gave my boogie really turned me off. I would now like to look into buying a few 'can't live without them' stompboxes to place infront of a nonmastervolume amp. I've been looking at some of fulltones line, the OCD, Fulldrive2, and the choral flange, and would your input on what works and what doesnt! I'd like atleast one REALLY wierd tone, something nasty and narly...anyone have the '70 pedal?

Any other recomendations for pedals that would never leave your board?

I got my 1st Mesa/Boogie (MK IIB combo and matching 1x12 cab) back in 1981, and have been using Mesa amps ever since. I have, during the time span, used tons of pedals and rack gear with ALL of the Boogies (The MK series are my favorites) that I've owned/own. Boogies are GREAT in that they are pretty much happy with just about anything.

My Current MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class head that I got new back in '86, has been and still is my go to workhorse.

Here are the current effects that I am running:

stuff016.jpg

NAMMpicscropped020.jpg

only a pro co turbo rat...

but i think i'm gonna buy a MXR GEQ... to balance my lead/rythm...

i dont really like it but i have to... i like purity... :D

To me THE most important pedal is a tuner! If you're not in tune, nothing else matters.

I use a Peterson Strobostomp. They make the best tuners.

I also have a number of other pedals. The best of the bunch are:
Retro-Comp compressor (a killer unit made by a friend)
Skreddy ScrewDriver
Bloody Murder tubescreamer (on the way)

To me THE most important pedal is a tuner! If you're not in tune, nothing else matters.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i didn't even mention it 'caus i think it's all 'bout "effect" 'round here :wink:

There are several posts that confirm this - a good EQ pedal is phenomenal. I have the MXR Kerry King 10 -Band. It has gain and volu me boost. Tightens your Bass and gives you alot of flexibility. I think a EQ pedal in the Effects Loop and a good OD pedal in front is amazing.

Latest posts

Back