Best overdrive for lead tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaosmaker911

Reaction score
So i have been running my computer with guitar rig 3 in the effects loop to add overdrive to my channel 2 (on mark I mode) for my lead tone.

I've wanted to get a nice OD pedal to run in front of the amp, since im sure it will sound a good deal better and will be better for gigging.

What pedals do you guys recommend?

I've been considering a Keeley modded Tube screamer, or an AC Booster, or a BB preamp (leaning mostly toward the tube screamer).
im looking for a good smooth lead tone. I play prog rock/metal and shred. Stuff like petrucci, satriani, opeth... I do a lot of tapping

if it matters, my guitar is an ibanez S prestige with dimarzio pups (D-sonic and air norton), and im getting a Bernie Rico Jr custom 7 string very soon...

thoughts?

The OCD is great, Zendrive=WOW, and believe it or not the B.Y.O.C. Overdrive 2 does everything a modded tube screamer does plus much more. (I didn't believe it til I heard it...stupendous)
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html

I think leads sound best out of the Mark V with a little delay and nothing else. It's easy enough to overload the gain with what is on tap already. That being said, if i'm looking for a smooth, less distinct lead tone I use a BB with the gain at noon or less. Good luck.

If I was doing lots of proggy shredding I'd probably stick to just amp gain and boost the mids using the graphic EQ (Make a W instead of a V).... sounds cleaner than stacking pedal dirt on top of amp distortion. Then, if you need more sustain for a particular part kick on a Tubescreamer type overdrive.

Fulltone FD II is my weapon of choice to enhance the natural gain (set at 2pm) in MK1 & MKIV Modes. Angus crunch to Santana lead through a 2 stage OD boost provides all the versatility I need

Have you tried using the Solo switch with the Gain at 2:00 - 4:00 yet ?
I use the OD/TScreamer only very rarely..it detracts from definition of the notes.

Use Solo Switch + Gain knob according to taste + Compressor + delay...should do the trick plenty fine !
Just my $0.02

I use an Ibenez tube screamer for those little lead lines in and out. For instance in the tune Fire by the Pointer Sisters there is that 3 note line over the A minor chord, the sound goes from clean rhy. to nasty od. As Mk owners know to sing and switch channels on the MK can be tricky because you have to go between 2 buttons on the FS. But with the TS you can just leave your foot on the TS and kick it in and out instantly. Everything has it's place. Not that the TS sounds better than the amp OD it has its own sound and works really well through #1 on fat. Just gives you more options.

sorry to sound pedantic, but isn't the lead toneon the mark v enough? i agree with screamingdaisy on this one. geq it and you should be golden. unless you wanna try to get the "channel 4" thing going with the extra layer, but you said for lead and i can really only see adding a boost/od on the clean channel for low/mid gain stuff. even so i think it might make it either too bright (on ch 1) or just plain gritty. why not just rely on ch 2? i guess maybe i don't fully understand what the op is trying to accomplish, but i think for the mark v the gaininess is not so necessary; if anything, what you'd want with this amp is something that is more transparent. boost/od's that accomplish this need to be carefully chosen for the high gain stuff or you lose all control and imo the mark v does not sound very good with a ts type drive in ch 3. that said, it can make ch 2 sound pretty vintage.

The best tone is Boogie tone, that's why you bought it... :wink: try the solo switch.

Yeah honestly,

I got rid of my distortions and overdrive after I got a Mark V.
Working the guitar's volume knob along with the solo switch does wonders.
I kept my fuzz though :oops:

Chaosmaker911 said:
So i have been running my computer with guitar rig 3 in the effects loop to add overdrive to my channel 2 (on mark I mode) for my lead tone.

I've wanted to get a nice OD pedal to run in front of the amp, since im sure it will sound a good deal better and will be better for gigging.

What pedals do you guys recommend?

I've been considering a Keeley modded Tube screamer, or an AC Booster, or a BB preamp (leaning mostly toward the tube screamer).
im looking for a good smooth lead tone. I play prog rock/metal and shred. Stuff like petrucci, satriani, opeth... I do a lot of tapping

if it matters, my guitar is an ibanez S prestige with dimarzio pups (D-sonic and air norton), and im getting a Bernie Rico Jr custom 7 string very soon...

thoughts?

How loud do you have it cranked? IMO, the MK1 mode needs volume, not gain with the master down, straight up loud to get the proverbial blanket off the cabinet. It opens up and sounds much better when you get it near gig volume. It sounds good for leads straight out the head that way.

Mighty as it is, there are certain tone territories that the Mark V can't go by itself. Indeed, you can get a great lead tone from Mark IV and Mark IIC+ modes, with excellent articulation and good sustain; more sustain is also available by increasing the gain, but at the cost of a little added fizzy character (and possibly noise depending on a number of factors). If more sustain is needed without compromising articulation and overall tonal character, a good overdrive pedal like those mentioned can get you there. As long as they are true bypass, they can always be taken away from the signal path. I use a BB Preamp with very good results, gain at 0 and level at 75% - mainly as a boost for solos.

Very best,
Marcelo
NOWAYBACK

I would not use a pedal. all the great sounds (early EVH) were used with the amp only. Volume gets the power tubes cookin, and that is what every pedal is trying to imitate. I have really cranked channel 3 both Mark IV and Mark IIC+ and have been shocked by the tone. Use the most expensive sensitive guitar cord possible, hot pickups and try the triode switch which smooths out everything and you'll be shreddin in no time. I could never use a pedal with a Mark V, thats just my opinion, I just could not play knowing I did this, or I might as well by any old amp and get my tone from pedals.

fjk1138 said:
ReIgnition said:
The best tone is Boogie tone, that's why you bought it... :wink: try the solo switch.

+1

Let that Mark V tone sing!

There we go!...+3

I might use a fuzz/overdrive into channels 1/2 for some more old school lead tones (ala Jimi or Clapton)...but "smooth, singing lead tones"?

As the saying go's, "it's already in there baby!" :D

I agree with many of the posters.I stopped using distortion pedals years ago...when I started playing boogies ;) I do implement the boost on a lot of my patches though.

I don't often use pedals with my MkV but I do occasionally boost Ch2 / Crunch or Edge modes for boosted Marshall tones. This works as well as it ever did with 2204's. For my part when I do use an overdrive pedal it's either a modded TS808 or a modded Bluesbreaker (my builds). The stock version of either of these circuits will do the job just fine though.

MXR GT-OD -> BOSS Metal Zone -> Marshall JVM Channel 4 Red -> Series Loop Send -> Mk V Channel 3 MK4 Gain Maxed! :lol:

Now, if I could only find a way to set the volume to 11...

Latest posts

Back