Best cables for channel switching?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagelakos

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a Mark IV and I use a DMC GCX and Ground Control Pro for channel switching, effects routing, ect. I was wondering how much of a difference it makes, if any, on the type of cables used for the channel switching. Should they be shielded or unshielded and does it actually make a difference?
Thanks,
Steve A

With all due respect to acorkos I do have a different opinion on this. The channel and various mode switching functions of the Mark IV are all logic in nature. You are providing a DC ground through a switch to enable them. There is really no advantage to having a shielded cable for these functions although using one is perfectly fine. The amount of noise immunity in the logic would preclude false switching in anything but the most extreme environment due to inductive coupling. Likewise there is no electrical route from the switching into the amplification chain so noise reduction from shielding is not an issue. If you were to look at the cable from the regular footswitch to the Mark IV you would not find any shielding. I would go with some reliable but low cost shielded cable but in all honesty non-shielded cables would work just fine. High end shielded cables are way over kill for this application.

Back