Bedroom EQ'ing VS. Stage EQ'ing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Ahh, thank God for the Graphic EQ on some of our amps. I just learned a rookie lesson: Scooped mids in live situations = lost in the mix! Now when I go on stage, I'll be bumping those puppies up! :mrgreen:

yeah, and too much bass makes that annoying rumble, not that sweet one.
cranked up poweramp has a lowend of his own :)
i've learned that too :lol:

Maybe that's where I went wrong at the weekend. Having used a triaxis/20-20 set up for the past 6 months, I dug out my Mk11C+. A bit 'muddy' / 'flabby' in places. More quality time required tweeking I think
Ian

i usually have presence at 0 when playing alone or recording, but when i play with my band live or rehearshal i have to bring my presence about 4-5..

i'd like to know, am i the only one who actually boosts the 750 and dont scoop it?

I rarely use the EQ on my amps (Mark I's and IIB's). I never cut 750. Sometimes I boost 80, 240, 2200 & 6600 in a slight "V" and leave 750 flat. Most times I just bypass the EQ and if I feel the need for a broader, fatter sound I just turn up the amp. It sounds more natural to me. And I agree that playing alone vs. with the band requires different adjustments. Volume has alot to do with the Lead mode settings. Alone at lower volumes I turn up the Lead Gain for sustain and harmonics. With the band I can keep the Lead Gain lower and turn up the amp to get it to sing. I prefer this sound actually.

Konstantine said:
i usually have presence at 0 when playing alone or recording, but when i play with my band live or rehearshal i have to bring my presence about 4-5..

i'd like to know, am i the only one who actually boosts the 750 and dont scoop it?

"In Justice for all" sounds like it's completely scooped. It sounds thin to me. I go a little under maybe a 1/3 of the way.

The IIC+ is Apples and Oranges depending on how loud or high the Master is. These amps bloom and brown like a mother when the Master is over 4.
If it is too loud, run the Lead Master lower. It tends to make the amp less bright anyway and has a pleasing spectrum of fat and chewy goodness.
To really see the shred capabilities, I find that running the Lead Master at 3-5 and the Master at 2-3 lets the agressive nature of the amp come out.
A good 4X12 is really what makes these amps HUGE. A normal open back 1X12 does not do it justice, but is a different pallette of tones. An open back and a 1X12 Theile are a very nice complement, but a 4X12 or two is all balls.

Konstantine said:

nope I do that too :)
i think some guitarists some time forget the guitar is actually the MIDRANGE instrument, although we all scoop down the mids, we get in the vocal/cymbals range with the highs, and bass and bassdrum range with the lows.
and then all you can hear from your amp is rumble and harsh hiss.
if i crank up presence to 5 my amp sounds harsh as hell... When i play alone :)

although i usually use the different EQing

80 1/2 to 2/3 above the 0 (depends on how loud i run the amp); 240 around 0 to 1/2; 750 around 1/3 below; 2200 2/3 to ALL THE WAY up; 6600 0 to 1/2;

to put it simple, i do a slight V with HIgH frequencies reversed. (more 2200 than 6600)
it really gives me a highmidrange agressive punch.. really cuts thru. but i usually turn the gain abit down.

Another point that needs to be taken into account is the way the human ear hears. At low volume a gragh of the efficiency of the ear would look like a frown. That is to say the highs and lows are not as easily heard as are the middle frequencies and need a boost to be heard in ther proper proportion. The louder the volume gets the more efficient the ear becomes and the less the bass and treble frequencies need to be boosted to be heard properly. This is the reason so many Hi/Fi recievers and amps have "loudness" buttons on them, to boost those frequencies that are not heard as easily at low volume. Also IMO most people have little if any knowledge of how to EQ an amp correctly, and as such they end up screwing up the tone of a perfectly good amp by missuse (generally overuse) of the EQ.

Another point that needs to be taken into account is the way the human ear hears. At low volume a gragh of the efficiency of the ear would look like a frown. That is to say the highs and lows are not as easily heard as are the middle frequencies and need a boost to be heard in ther proper proportion. The louder the volume gets the more efficient the ear becomes and the less the bass and treble frequencies need to be boosted to be heard properly. This is the reason so many Hi/Fi recievers and amps have "loudness" buttons on them, to boost those frequencies that are not heard as easily at low volume. Also IMO most people have little if any knowledge of how to EQ an amp correctly, and as such they end up screwing up the tone of a perfectly good amp by missuse (generally overuse) of the EQ.

Can I get an amen my brother....Take your hands off the EQ Brothers & Sisters and lay them on the guitar. 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back