Attack on a Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat133

Reaction score
Hey does anyone else have difficulty in getting attack out of Roadster's distortion channels? I use Ch 3 so far for my leads and Ch4 for my rhythm (both I use on Modern mode). I'm running an Ibanez RG320QS with DiMarzio D-Sonic and Air Norton pickups as well as a Epi Les Paul Std w/ PAF Classics from DiMarzio. I love the sound of the head but want a bit more attack to get a Killswitch Engage type of sound and more attack for leads. Any suggestions? I currently have settings on CH4 as follows:

Modern mode,Diode Rectifier, Bold
Master: 11:00
Pres: 11:00
Bass: 1:30
Mid: 10:00
Treble: 2:00
Gain: 3:00

Ch 3 for leads:

Vintage, recto tracking, Bold
Master: 12:30
Pres: 9:00
Bass: 12:00
Mid: 7:00
Treble: 1:00
Gain: 2:00

I was getting killer attack, yet ample sustain with these lead settings:

-Channel 4
-Diode
-100 Watts
-Bold
-Vintage
-Gain 1:30
-Treble 1:00
-Mid 10:30
-Bass 12:30
-Presence 1:30
-Master 11:00

These settings, with my JP7, is equivalent to John Petrucci's tone on Dream Theater's "Train Of Thought," or Michael Romeo's tone on Symphony X's "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy."

Thanks, I'll try them this weekend! If they dont provide ample attack, suggestions? I want to try to avoid running a distortion pedal thru the front...we'll see!

You might want to possibly try more mids in your eq settings...It seems as though many people don't dial in a lot of mids and that's fine, to each their own...But To me mids equal Tone for the most part...Not overly saturated with them, but more than most...I run my mids anywhere from 11:30 to 1 o'clock in my Roadster...Tons of attack and it really jumps out in a live mix...Hope that helps.

SonicShredder said:
I was getting killer attack, yet ample sustain with these lead settings:

-Channel 4
-Diode
-100 Watts
-Bold
-Vintage
-Gain 1:30
-Treble 1:00
-Mid 10:30
-Bass 12:30
-Presence 1:30
-Master 11:00

These settings, with my JP7, is equivalent to John Petrucci's tone on Dream Theater's "Train Of Thought," or Michael Romeo's tone on Symphony X's "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy."
I tried these settings on my 3 channel Dual Recto with my Les Paul, and after slight adjustments to my taste, I can say that they rock :).
Normally, I use the Tube Rectifier because I like the sag it gives when playing leads, but for metal riffing I think Vintage mode sounds too loose (using the tube rectifier) so I used Modern mode to tighten up my riffing sound. Still, I think Modern mode lacks the thick, sweet mids of Vintage mode. So today I tried your settings and instantly got a incredibly thick yet tight riffing tone. I have to say that my lead tone has lost sustain and smoothness and that modern mode is really too agressive for my taste using solid state rectifier, but the riffing tone I now have really makes me go 'CHUNKA CHUNKA CHUNKA' with a big smile on my face.
Rectifiers may not look very complicated (as opposed to a Mark series amp or high end Engl), but definately need their share of tweaking to get te most out of them. Each day I grow happier and happier with my Recto.

Daxman73 said:
You might want to possibly try more mids in your eq settings...It seems as though many people don't dial in a lot of mids and that's fine, to each their own...But To me mids equal Tone for the most part...Not overly saturated with them, but more than most...I run my mids anywhere from 11:30 to 1 o'clock in my Roadster...Tons of attack and it really jumps out in a live mix...Hope that helps.

Yep, I was going to say the same thing... Mids give your tone the edge in which to cut through a mix with and be heard. Definitely bump your mids a few notches. Just remember to tweak your amp with your EARS, not your eyes. ;)

You mentioned Killswitch Engage tone. For that You do need an overdrive pedal in front of Your amp. They (and sometimes I) use a Maxon OD 808 or 820 with their Mesas.

Take care!
CJ

an OD before the amp is going to give what you want.
maxon, mxr Wyld, ibanez tube screamer, etc...

Here's another vote for turning up the mids, I think of the mid control as the attack/punch control on the DR. I usually keep my mids full on channels 2 and 3.

CJG said:
You mentioned Killswitch Engage tone. For that You do need an overdrive pedal in front of Your amp. They (and sometimes I) use a Maxon OD 808 or 820 with their Mesas.

Take care!
CJ

+1 to this. Your settings aren't bad overall. I'd get the Mids up to around 12 Noon and the Gain down to around 12 Noon. Put an OD (Maxon OD808 is what I use, coincidentally so does KSE) in front with the Gain set to "0" (off), Volume/Output maxed, and Tone adjusted to taste. That will get you in the ballpark of what you're looking for.

Thanks guys, I noticed quite a difference by boosting the mids! I'm currently using a DS-1 and it gives a bit more chunk for riffs; I shut it off for big chords to clean up the sound a bit. I hear the Maxon is awesome... wanna try one out eventually

Latest posts

Back