Are there any reliability issues with the Recording Pre?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCwanabe

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a new Recording Pre. It should be here in 6 to 8 weeks. I plan on using it for Direct Recording and not gigging. Hopefully it will live a very happy life on a shelf.
My question is: Are there any consistent defects that are found in these units that i should look for?

Thanks, Russ

LBCwanabe said:
I just pulled the trigger on a new Recording Pre. It should be here in 6 to 8 weeks. I plan on using it for Direct Recording and not gigging. Hopefully it will live a very happy life on a shelf.
My question is: Are there any consistent defects that are found in these units that i should look for?

Thanks, Russ

Hey i'm just curious how much was yours? Did you buy it new? If so from who? Mesa directly or GC or other vendor? Sorry I couldn't help you out with your question... and also sorry for getting off topic in your thread.

LBCwanabe said:
Are there any consistent defects that are found in these units that i should look for?

Don't believe so. The few spurious things that have cropped up here were generally related to tubes going bad. It's an extremely well built unit IMO.

The sound is utterly fantastic printing to the console when used with a good quality speaker simulator. Adding an appropriate outboard EQ and possibly dynamics processor you can wrangle out nearly any tone on the planet with more intensity than you've ever heard before (assuming your guitar, pickups and strings are suitable too).

Welcome to the club.

Just curious: who is LBC, Larry Carlton by any chance?

123thefirst said:
LBCwanabe said:
Are there any consistent defects that are found in these units that i should look for?

Don't believe so. The few spurious things that have cropped up here were generally related to tubes going bad. It's an extremely well built unit IMO.

The sound is utterly fantastic printing to the console when used with a good quality speaker simulator. Adding an appropriate outboard EQ and possibly dynamics processor you can wrangle out nearly any tone on the planet with more intensity than you've ever heard before (assuming your guitar, pickups and strings are suitable too).

Welcome to the club.

Just curious: who is LBC, Larry Carlton by any chance?

LBC could mean Long Beach California heh

I had a problem with the live outs on mine; the live volume pot started only working on one side of the outs, and the other was real loud all the time. This was a non-trivial repair that had to go to an authorized depot and wait several weeks for a part from Mesa. This was still under warranty, the unit was only about 18 months old.

AFAIK this is the only problem I've ever heard of anyone having, and I am betting it was a failure in an electronic component that Mesa didn't build.

LBC=Laid Back Chillin' or Long Beach(I used to be really into sublime)

I paid $1319 for it. Evidently mesa just up'd there prices
I plan on using it with a 400+ Bass head and an early D-180.

Thanks for the help guys!

LBCwanabe said:
LBC=Laid Back Chillin' or Long Beach(I used to be really into sublime)

I paid $1319 for it. Evidently mesa just up'd there prices
I plan on using it with a 400+ Bass head and an early D-180.

Thanks for the help guys!

You like the LBC Dub Allstars too?

it's $1149 here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9622 page 3 of the images. You ordered yours from mesa? that list is 1 year old though so....

CoG, do you ever play the Rec Pre through the FX loop of your Mark III? If so, how did it turn out? Any chance you might do a clip? Thanks.

As soon as I have both units in the same place I am planning to do exactly that! Won't be for a couple of weeks at least, though.

I bought the MkIII with that in mind, among other things-- have a master plan about racking the Mark (because it's a short head,) and running my Rec Pre cleans through my 20/20, and then A/Bing between the MkIII's lead tones and Channel 2 on my Rec Pre into the Mark power section. Of course, my rack will weigh like 120 pounds :roll:

The Rec Pre channel 1 + 20/20 smoke the Mark's cleans, which are pretty nice too.

I purchased a used rectifier recording preamp, and had some trouble with the inputs going bad. I had mesa repair the unit, but the front input is still not reliable. I use the back input, and mesa told me that is the preferred input because it uses less wiring than the front. As far as general performance, I think it's a fantastic unit. I use it with my 50/50 power amp, and my eventide eclipse unit, and the sound quality is awesome. I've been recording a cd with my band, and have used both the live outputs and recording outputs with great success.

Latest posts

Back