Are there any good guitar magazines?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nylisk

Reaction score
I keep meaning to check them out but always forget to look. I want something neat to read while on lunch and stuff at work. Are there any mags out there that are genuine? I don't want a magazine that in actuality is really just a advertisement for whatever artist-endorsement product they want to push.

I understand that there is going to always be ads but I stopped looking at video game mags because there is no such thing as an honest video game review in print. Even if they didn't "pay for" a high score, execs do things like buy them tvs and stuff.

Any suggestions?

IMO guitar rags are the same. I think as far as reviews go the only ones that approach honesty are the ones from Consumers Report because their revenue doesn't come from advertisers, but they don't do reviews on guitar related equipment.

Guitar Player has good articles on players and techniques (they almost never have gear tweaking tips, though, if that's what you're after.) They cover a lot of genres and a good "age range", and don't take themselves too seriously. I buy that one.

As soon as gear is involved it's straight-up whoring, though. They have run a couple interviews where it looks like they inserted paragraphs after the actual interview about gear that the player endorses but doesn't actually play.

I miss "Guitar For The Practicing Musician," that was a good mag.

LOL, I posted a clip and 18&Life didn't like it. I just thought it was kind of funny since he's such a big talker-- has a triaxis rig he has no pics of, is a pro recording engineer *and* plays all kinds of different size gigs but can't record clips, etc... so when a guy like THAT tells me my tone sucks, I better listen. :lol: Okay, maybe I'm being a bit of a dick...

Check out Guitar Techniques. Might be hard to find, it's from the U.K. Barnes and Nobles or some kind of book store may carry it. You know who Guthrie Govan is?

atonal said:
Check out Guitar Techniques. Might be hard to find, it's from the U.K. Barnes and Nobles or some kind of book store may carry it. You know who Guthrie Govan is?

I like Premier Guitar but it has a lot of adds but the articles in between are great.

atonal said:

+1 . This is a British magazine and expensive but truly great technique centered magazine. Guthrie Govan is a master player. Check out some books he wrote also ( Guitar Techniques Volume 1 and 2 ) on amazon. Great stuff.

+1 for Premier Guitar Magazine. Very cool reading, especially if you like boutique gear. I don't know if they still offer this, but if you register, they will send you a free copy to check out. Of course they will send you a sign up card for a subscription, but there is no obligation.

Latest posts

Back