Are my caps still good? Pictures

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I just picked up a DC-3 and though it looks OK to me I am by no means an expert. Can anyone tell me if my 220uf and 30uf caps look OK? I don't see any blistering or swelling. Sure hope I don't have to change the 220uf's anytime soon. Looks like you have to pull the whole board out. On the PCB etched in was Mesa DC 23 C, 1993. Would it be safe to presume that it was assembled around 1993?

220uf.jpg

30uf.jpg

30uf2.jpg

fullview.jpg

They 'look' fine...but in reality that doesn't say alot. If you feel the tone is lacking or you notice irregularities/inconsistantcies in you overall sound then it never hurts to have her checked out by an authorized mesa tech. I recently had my old Studio Pre and a 50/50 (ebay disaster) in for service and they both have returned sounding stellar. Like a muscle car... tube amps need care, love, maintenance, and some really good flogging to keep 'em running well.

I just replaced mine in my Mark III. They looked fine but sounded blah. How old is your amp?

droptrd said:
I just replaced mine in my Mark III. They looked fine but sounded blah. How old is your amp?
Not exactly sure of the age but Mesa said they were made between 1994-1999 and I have a SN on the later side so maybe around 1997. When I change out the caps in my DC-10 they looked OK but it did make a big difference.

Anyone have experience pulling the board out of this small chassis? I would just change them if I didn't have to remove the board. That looks too much like real work.

Those caps have a "freshness" date of 1997 on them and should be perfectly healthy. You should probably plan to change them when they turn 20, unless of course you are experiencing trouble that can be traced to one of them.
Jim

Hey all, I just went to the Mesa store in Hollywood the other day and asked about a recap for a pristine, very early first run Mark IVA. The guy replied and then checked with the resident expert in back to confirm:

"Anything post Mark IIC+ was after Mesa switched the the type of caps used in their amps and so anything after Mark IIC+'s (Mark III, IV's etc.) DON'T EVER need to be recapped." He said all I needed to do was to replace the tubes.(????)

This is the first time I had ever heard this so I'm posting it here to see if anyone else had heard this. Of course, I would like it to be true, but if caps are being replaced on everything under the sun from what is posted here, thee are a lot of unneeded cap jobs being done.

??? :shock: I guess Mesa is using some super caps. That's the first time I've heard such a thing not from regular fools like me but experianced techs. Surely any electronic componant will break down given enough time and heat.

Mark Fore said:
"Anything post Mark IIC+ was after Mesa switched the the type of caps used in their amps and so anything after Mark IIC+'s (Mark III, IV's etc.) DON'T EVER need to be recapped." He said all I needed to do was to replace the tubes.(????)quote]

Admittedly they should last many a year...but never need replaced? All enviroments/conditions being equal and ideal I'd agree, but they're not. Still would like to hope that it's true though.

Most electrolytic capps start to fail after ten years, and should be checked using a good cap tester. You have to discharge and disconnect one leg. Of coarse I m an EE Engineer and would not recommend for the untrained. I recently got a MK3 Red stripe 100w with all options. I checked all the big capps and the 3 Sprague 30uF 500VDC capps where in spec above 30uF. But the four 220uF 300VDC Mallorys on the ps3c board were all under spec around 180uF and not holding charge for vary long. So I replaced with F&T german capps. So you never know how long capps last just have them checked every ten years min, depending on how many hours you put on the amp & how long it's sits idle with no power running threw it. PS. I lived in LA for all my 46 years and the comments from the dudes at mesa hollywood vary from day to day person to retard. They also swear up and down you don't need to put a bias pot, but people like Paul Mcartney, James Hatfield,Kirk Hammett, ect. all get the bias mod. So take expert advise with a grain of salt, they might be on crack.! ....MK3 Red stripe Siml Rack mont ..... Rocktron Intelifex ...... 4 12 cabs 2 celst 2 EVM ......78 -B.C Rich Supper Strat 1974 & 76 LP etc...

I have heard both sides of the story, and even axed the same about my M3. SO, I guess that changing them would be up to what the meter says and what your ear says.

Latest posts

Back