Are F100 's unpopular

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-tuner

Reaction score
I see mention of F30 andF50s but I haven't seen much on the 100.Other than the weight factor. are there any other reasons I dont see any posts on this amp ? Thanks, Fred.

A-tuner said:
I see mention of F30 andF50s but I haven't seen much on the 100.Other than the weight factor. are there any other reasons I dont see any posts on this amp ? Thanks, Fred.

This is just speculation on my part, but I think the appeal of the F-series is to get Boogie tones with lower wattages in a very straight forward package. I think maybe the reason why you don't hear much about the F-100, is that if you are a person looking for a 100 watt head with some more features, you would lean towards the recto's or a Stiletto when you start getting into that price range and power rating.

Any F-100 owners out there? I almost bought one that I saw used a couple of years ago, but I decided to go with a Rectoverb instead.

i wanted an f-100 for a long time before i got any mesa. they are great all around amps, and very versitile but when your brothers are the markIV the recto and the loanstar, its eas to see why they can get overshadowed. when a lot of people get a 100 watt amp (i'll count mark iv as well) they often go for a 'flagship model'. and of course... some people actualy prefer that tone over the other models

I've had my F-100 for over three years now and it has been a great ride. I don't think anyone really needs a 100 W Mesa, but I wanted a lot of clean headroom and I preferred the tones on the F-100 over every other Mesa amp including the F-50/30. Here is my rig:

hal9000GigRig3_7_06RevC.jpg

I have one that I got used very cheap probably because the selector switch was brocken, I order one from Mesa/Boogie great customer service and repair it. They sound great but they are very heavy to move around and very powerfull.

I guess people like the appeal of the 50 watts small package, I recently sold a rocket 44 that is a great amp but I was not need it since I have a DC5 and preffer the EQ option, also I needed the space and the money but that's another story, as I said it ma be the appeal and portability and as someone mentioned, 100 watt is a lot...

I'm a fan of the F-100s - so I guess they are popular with me. My search came down to the MkIV, the F-100 and the F-50 (all combos). I personally preferred the tones of the F-series, and so it ended up being a choice between the 50 and 100 watt models. Tonally, I loved them both, with the nod going to the 100 for clean tones, and conversely to the 50 for lead tones. Both amps had more than enough power and headroom for my needs. In my case, the deciding factor was weight. :p

The 6L6 F-series are my favourite amps in the Boogie line - F100s rock! 8)

Big smiles,

Andy.

I personally hate the F100. Great clean, horrible dirt. IMHO ;) Love the DC5, and the F30, own and love the Stiletto Deuce, hated the DC10.

Hey, opinions are like assholes!!

I have owned 11 boogies over the last 5 years, and for me and my style of music: HR/HM, the f-series were the best out of all of them.The best clean, reverb, and tight (much tighter than rectos) crushing gain..The eqing was weird though..I used to run the mids and treble all the way up and keep the bass very low..The only mesa i regret selling was my f-50 halfstack in purple bronco...Live and learn i guess..

I've owned almost all amps from Mesa,and they all kick *** in their own individual ways.That being said,the F-100 is more like the Mark series(mainly the III and IV) in that it is unforgivingly clean,the distortion is years ahead of it's time and it offers a spectacular clean with some coaxing,and you are never want for volume whether you choose the F-50 or 100.I'll put my F-100 up against any other gain monster out there though. :D

F-30 for me - it's portable and is capable of some great tones. It's loud as all get out!! Simple controls - good for a tweaker like me. I had a Roadster and tweaked more than I played some days... I love being able to take my F-30 everywhere easily and get those great boogie tones... It has very Recto-like tones in a small portable combo. Very cool!

I loved my F-100 head, but I never really bonded with it on the 2x12 recto cab. I usually wound up gigging it with a little homemade extension cab with either an Emi Stonehenge or Emi Tonker in it, sometimes with a GB12. The F-100 clean was the most beautiful thing in the world, but to really get the F-100 power tubes soaking, even in 60 watt mode, took more volume than our sound guys would lemme have.

If I still had the head (and I might have one again soon 8) ) I'd put it on top of a couple Eminence Tonkers with beamblockers and I'd run an attenuator to get that power section going. Channel 2 is a bit of a different animal with those 6L6s smoking. :twisted:

And so that's why I now have, and love, an F-50 combo. I was trying to decide between an Express 5:50 and the F-50, and after being able to really open up the F-50 it was no contest. It was everything I loved about the F-100 but in a more managable format. I'm not much of an amp *****, having gigged Peavey Classics exclusively for almost ten years. And now with an F-50 and a Bad Monkey I have a rig I can live with for a very, very long time. I could maybe go for a second F-50 for a stereo rig or as a backup. But I will probably be gigging the F-50 for many years. I simply love the little thing. :oops:

I love my F-100, but it's BRUTALLY loud. Even in 60 watt mode, there's WAY more power than I'll really ever need.

It took a while for me to figure it out, but now I dig the hell out of it.

Back