Anyone using atenuator(hotplate,PB100,weber mass) on MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
I just ordered a Weber Mass lite for my MKIV combo. I'm using the MKIV on tweed power class A, with a band, and it's still to loud. I've used the HP and the PB100 so I figured I give the Weber lite a try. Anyone ever use this stuff with their MKIV? The toughest thing on this amp is the volume, it's a freakin beast IMHO.

Hey
Like you I have used the Marshall Power Brake and the Hotplate with my Mark IV, I really cant say anything bad about either but the Weber’s seem to be the latest and greatest. Although I haven’t heard one in person, the buzz out there is nothing but positive.
I plan on getting one myself (you just beat me to it) I cant make up my mind which to get either (Mass Lite or the Mass150) either way I feel a little more confident since it’s a different approach from the others (speaker motor).
I’m going to order mine in a few weeks (Christmas gift for myself)

i'll get back ASAP when I get it. I should get it Monday or tuesday. I like attenuators if used very little, to take take it down, just a little. i hope this does the trick.

For a year or so I've used the Weber Minimass on my 60w Mark III and it's been superb. I wouldn't use the amp without it now.

Matt

that's great to hear. i'm on my way out the door, to play a gig, in a little pub (there all little pubs) and my main problem all night, will be volume. pain in arse!

Hi Jam,
I have a Mark I R. and bought a Weber mass 100 Watt. I tried the hot plate, but the Weber is much better at keeping your sound the same.
It works great for me. Like another poster said the less you attenuate, the better, so find the right spot. I think that if you attenutate too much, you lose tone...
I put the master at 5 and both channel 1 and 2 and 8 and it works great.
What are your impressions now that you have it?

Thanks Dris, I'm still waiting to get it. I should have it soon. Last night was another night of volume control. I really get a lot of great tones out of this 1x12 combo. I''l get back with my opinions on the Weber ASAP. The mass lite looks like a different approach then the HP or PB, and cheaper, we'll see.

I got the Weber mass lite and I think the hot plate looks cooler and is smaller but the Weber sounds better to me. I usually have to play the MKIV on class A tweed power for usable volume levels. this is the first time I can play the amp on full power and all tubes on. The Weber sounds a lot better to me then the HP and the Marshall PB100 that I had. Any attenuation will effect your tone but the Weber really stays toneful. The HP and the PB100 would start to really destroy the tone when you attenuated to much. The Weber looks like a 1950's hifi project compared to the Hotplate but it sounds a lot better IMHO. The Weber is better Tone wise and only $160 vs $299 for a HP. I got mine at Eurotubes because they started stocking Weber stuff, so you don't have to wait two weeks from Weber(same price as buying direct from Weber)

Update! Weber still sounds better then HP or PB100 but have found out, I don't need it with the MKIV. Running the channel masters at 2-2-1.5 and the main master at 4, gets me the same great tone at the right volume, with out the Weber. Weber sounds great, and I will use it for the plexi and the bassman but not for the MKIV. $160 Weber lesson learned LOL.

jamme61 said:
Update! Weber still sounds better then HP or PB100 but have found out, I don't need it with the MKIV. Running the channel masters at 2-2-1.5 and the main master at 4, gets me the same great tone at the right volume, with out the Weber. Weber sounds great, and I will use it for the plexi and the bassman but not for the MKIV. $160 Weber lesson learned LOL.

hello jamme61,

so with your channel volumes at 2-2-1.5 and the output ctl at 4, are you now running full power, simulclass, pentode or still tweed, class A, triode.

I'm running full power simulclass with two EL34's and two 6l6's pentode.

jamme61 said:
I'm running full power simulclass with two EL34's and two 6l6's pentode.

hello jamme61,

one thing for sure is that all the old seeds on this board are probably LOL at some of us junior Mark IV users.
:wink:
It is indeed quite an interesting amp to dial in. Up to now I had found that I was getting my best tone with the channel volumes at 8,4,3 and the output at 4.5 using class A, triode, tweed. I'm using a 93 PRS custom 24 with the rotary pickup selector on 2 or 4 for the R1 channel and 1, 3 or 5 when using R2 and LD. I've got the volume knob on the PRS rolled back a little from max. It is just amazing how much tonal variety is possible with this guitar and amp. The PRS makes all of my other guitars sound somewhat tame and one dimensional.

I will have to try your volume settings using simulclass, pentode, full power and see it that does it for me.

Michel

Michel, you got that right about the old timers here. I love the sarcasm, and the blunt comments. I'm ok with admitting my blunders on this forum. It may save some other MKIV newbie. It's funny about the PRS, My fave guitar in my PRS single cut trem model. I just sold my 1999 Gibson LP historic, and have had, many different guitars, over the years, but the PRS is it for me. That 1993 you have is worth some bucks. I hear you on the tonal options of the MKIV and PRS. I could easily do a whole gig with channel 1 and my guitar volume and p/u selector. Let me know if the settings work for you too.

Attenuators suck... :lol:

Turn it up!!!!!! 8)

I know some of us aren't as lucky to be able to have our sound loud where we play but it really is a shame to have to choke out an amp. I haven't found an attenuator that I like. Sometimes you just want to play and kepp your tone but at quieter levels. It is hard to emulate the air movement though without actually pushing the air thus making loud noises.

I myself think the weber sounds good but have to disagree that the Hotplate sounds worse or bad...I cant tell a difference really and at times i find the Hotplate to be a little more articulate with my LSC. Guess it comes down to preference but you cant go wrong with either- im sure many will agree with me.

My latest best attenuator is Yellow jackets on my MKIV. I'm using just two THD Yellow Jakets in Class A for small gigs and at home play.

Back