Anyone use DC-5 or DC-10 with 80's Rock/Metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I posted a similar topic under effects and thought it may be worth seeing if anyone uses there 6L6 based DC amps for 80's metal? If you do are you using any pedals?

I'll be using a DC-10 into a 2x12 cabinet. Guitars to be used are PRS Custom 24, Dean USA Hardtail and maybe a Strat. The overdrive pedals I have to work with are Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Xotic AC + and a Luxury Clean Boost. Time based effects all come from my Roctron Xpressions.

Yes, I used a DC-10 for a thrash/hardcore metal band, and still use a .50cal+. It'll do metal with ease. Check out both my myspace sigs and check out the songs. Every song on there was recorded with a DC-10, .50cal+, MKIII or DR.

You guys are tight. Much more hardcore than what I'm looking to do but it's good to know that the amp can sound that good and aggressive. What amp and effects are you using on Fear The Darkness and Conway? Do you scoop your mids with an eq?

That's my old band, Junker is my new band and is much more representitive of where I'm at today. Plus there's two guitar players, and Kurt from DRI is our singer. On Fear and Conway I was using my old .50 Cal+ with the amps EQ "in" using a "V" scooped eq. No fx other than a wah on the lead of Conway.

My DC5 "lives" in the 80s :)
But it can also do metal with ease ...just a couple of tweaks and you're there.

Edward

The DC series heads's lead channel has a peaky treble which is very reminiscent of a JCM 800 kind of crunch so if you back off the gain a bit on the DC, you're pretty close as the JCM 800's that 80's metal guitarists used so often are less saturated.

The DC heads's clean channel has balls too if you pull the boost. It's a wider sound with a smoother treble more like a Mark series head.

I appreciate all the input. Believe it or not I'm not a noob to all this but back in the 80's when I was playing the music I only used an EQ and chorus pedal into my Marshalls. First Plexi later moved to the JCM 800. I just played and didn't think much about capturing the tone correctly. Now I'm more aware of what I'm looking for and want to get close but not obsessed about it.

When I listen to songs like White Snake Still of the Night or Ozzy's Crazy Train the guitar parts sound so thick to me. Are they just stacking tracks or using chorus or some other time based effect?

Does anyone has a suggestion on how to setup the DC-10 to get close to Van Halen's tone from the 80's?

MJ Slaughter said:
When I listen to songs like White Snake Still of the Night or Ozzy's Crazy Train the guitar parts sound so thick to me. Are they just stacking tracks or using chorus or some other time based effect?

Does anyone has a suggestion on how to setup the DC-10 to get close to Van Halen's tone from the 80's?

1.Yes, studio recordings are produced and that means compression on some tracks and/or mastering plus EQ'ing on individual tracks plus the master copy. Chasing recorded tones is not a good idea unless you know your recording inside and out

2. Van Halen's tone is primarily about cranked Marshall power sections, PAF pickups and playing hard. Not really about mucho preamp gain or preamp distortion.

To approximate this, use a good bolt on neck guitar with a medium output humbucker in the bridge, don't use a lot of gain on the DC-10 and crank the power section. Also, do not scoop out the mids with the graphic.All that does is make a big hole in your tone and EVH always had a midrange-rich tone

Back