Anyone ever try a 2ch DR and 3ch and prefer the 3ch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgk723

Reaction score
I traded my Roadster for a 2ch RevF w/ the Mark III transformer and so far I like the RevF better. I'm just curious if anyone prefers the newer ones and why. I wouldn't say any one is "better", they're just different. (I'd be interested to hear a 3ch DR with a Mark III transformer put in...)

The famous players who use DR's/TR's all use the 3ch's from what I can see on stage with them, but this could have to do with their endorsement deal. Even Buckethead uses the 3ch's, and he plays lead on them 60% of the time. I've seen him twice in the past year and he always sounds amazing with that 3ch. (Could be that amazing Kolbe 4x12 he uses!)

ME !
I prefer the 3ch over the 2ch
I swaped a 2ch for a 3ch... and sold it...
Now I'm back again with a Roadster head that I love !

I'd say you should have kept your roadster, it has the same distortion as the DR 3CH and a BETTER Clean sound ! the tweed is awesome

i had a 94 2 ch dual rect and got rid of it for a 3 ch dual rect i thought the older model was to compressed, and had more fuzzy than the newer dual rect. the newer dual rect seems to be cleaner than the older one. this is my opinion.

I own a 3 channel triple recto solo head. I have never played a 2 channel extensively, but Ive got a good friend who has varios amps(some 2 channel duals included).

At first listen the 2 channel sounds fatter, and the 3 channel seems like it has more bite(on channel 3). If you dont mess around with that 3rd channel much....initially it seems a little sterile and too aggressive with gain to the point that its a little one sided(as in not versatile).

However I do beleive this is why everybody says you gotta tinker with these amps for a while. Ive owned one for a while, and after playing with it enough Ive figured out channel three! Now I cant imagine being without it. Once you find the right balance of treble, presence, gain, mids and volume(bass is more subjective here than the other controls for the sound I work at)....Ive found a way to fatten up channel three extensively.

I can get that third channel to have just as much "fat" and "character" as my buddies two cannel rectos.....but the harmonic content is much better and pronounced with the type of gain thats present in the third channel.

Pinch harmonics scream off the fretboard Zakk Wylde style with a thickness comparable to the new metallica stuff(load/reload).

As I said, I didnt mess with his 2 channel stuff as much...but the tightness, attack and those harmonics didnt jump out at me the same. And again, along with the right speakers and some experimentation, my channel three is fat and rich now. Not sterile and too gain heavy. I prefer the 3 channel myself. Not only can I get the sound where I want it too.....but I still have another good gain channel(channel 2) that can be dialed in for other things. Versatility as well!

By the way.....here is a quick rundown of my 3 channel setup if anbody is interested in trying it(Ill give guitar and cab specs too just for reference).

Guitar, schecter C1 mohogany body blackjack with set neck, rosewood fretboard and JB/59 duncans(real duncans). Cab is a 2X12(Ive got a 4X12 as well, but Ive been using the 2X12 a lot) loaded with vintage 30's(avatar traditional cab).

Amp settings

First of all, I rarely use the FX loop. I keep it off and just use the channel volumes. output and solo is disabled.

Gain 12:30
Presence 1:00 to 1:30
Treble same as presence
Volume 9:00 ish
mids between 2 and 3:00
Bass Let your cab tell you where the bass needs to be. Once it gets too round and resonant....dial it back a hair.

The V30's makes for a 120 watt cab. The head is 150 so I cant get carried away with volume.....but I know with my settings like this, Im driving it pretty well and Im safe. It sings nicely. Better than the 2 channels Ive heard.

Latest posts

Back