Anybody ever do the Tremoverb LDR reliability mods?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcguitar

Reaction score
I just traded for a V.1 Tremoverb head and it has the older faulty LDR's. Being in college, I don't have the funds to have it sent out and overhauled by Mesa so I was wondering if anybody has had experience with doing the LDR reliability mods themselves. Also I read that they replace a PT or OT transformer as well? What's the deal with that change? From the tech notice, I believe there was only about 3-4 resistors changed out to lower the current going to the LDR's. I do have quite a bit of experience building tube amps but I'd figure I'd ask before a take the soldering iron to my new TOV. :(

i have a 94 that i recently sent to mesa for a repair, the ldrs were screwed to all sorts of hell, they just replaced the entire board, no pt or ot

Can somebody describe what the LDR reliability mod is? I have an old Tremoverb and now I'm curious.

LDRs are light dependant resistors that do all the switching in the amp when you change modes and stuff like that, so most likely if your amp isnt doing that correctly, it has a problem with the LDRs, there are around 30 or something in a tremoverb, they let the entire circuit in the amp be changed with the flip of just 1 switch. i may not be 100% correct on this, but this is my understanding anyway

and it seems early tverbs like mine were susceptable to these LDRs failing because too much voltage was run to them or something like that that was later fixed

Yeah mine is a 94 too. It hasn't acted up yet as far as I know (just got the amp last week) but I plan on gigging with it for sure. How much did that bill from mesa run you?

Back