Any problems with amps when tuning your guitar to Eb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igfraso

Reaction score
Maybe it sounds stupid but I have heard already twice that playing a guitar tuned to Eb through an amp "seems to destroy the amplifier".

If this were the case, I cannot think of any reason why this could be happening.

Is this just a myth or has anybody ever experience this issue?
Regards
Daniel

That is one of the silliest things I've ever read.. whomever told you that has to be pulling your leg.

My mind is seriously blown right now.

lol thats a new one..

It destroys the amp because it sounds too awesome in Eb. :D

what does this mean when i tune to B through my mk IV ? if Eb can do damage then i wonder what B would do.. Maybe even...

able07.jpg

Platypus said:
That is one of the silliest things I've ever read.. whomever told you that has to be pulling your leg.

My mind is seriously blown right now.

that's so funny! i don't remember why, but last week the very same interview with Stevie Ray Vaughn popped into my head. He mentions that tuning a half step down seems to destroy amps, because "maybe it has to do with the odd harmonics."

:roll: yeah stevie, your amps blew up because you tune to Eb, not because you cranked them to 11 and were on the road with them a lot.

Shep said:
what does this mean when i tune to B through my mk IV ? if Eb can do damage then i wonder what B would do.. Maybe even...

B is fine. Only Eb will do damage. The frequency matches the communication frequency of aliens from the planet Voldo. They get annoyed at the interference and send gremlins in to sabotage your amp.

Funny how rumors have some basis in fact.SRV's amps were modded to optimally reproduce the Eb by adjusting the bypass caps on the preamp tubes cathode.There is a formula involved,but it escapes me at the moment.Some amps may get "flabby" when you hit the Eb,but it wont be damaged.

stokes said:
Funny how rumors have some basis in fact.SRV's amps were modded to optimally reproduce the Eb by adjusting the bypass caps on the preamp tubes cathode.There is a formula involved,but it escapes me at the moment.Some amps may get "flabby" when you hit the Eb,but it wont be damaged.
so, is it all related to the resonant frequency of the circuitry? It makes me think that higher harmonics would be affected too, wouldn't they? So you should notice that "flabbiness" even if you play a "higher" Eb in standard tuning?

lyman said:
that's so funny! i don't remember why, but last week the very same interview with Stevie Ray Vaughn popped into my head. He mentions that tuning a half step down seems to destroy amps, because "maybe it has to do with the odd harmonics."

:roll: yeah stevie, your amps blew up because you tune to Eb, not because you cranked them to 11 and were on the road with them a lot.

Yes, Lyman, I also read that same interview with SRV and got curious. I am not playing at 130 dB and I am not afraid to destroy any amp.

Just curious to know whether there was any reason, circuit wise, that would make SRV wonder about it.
Thank you, Stokes.

Your typical cathode bypass cap as found in most Fender amps ( 22uf with a 1.5k resistor) is selected to reproduce the lowest guitar frequency- 82hz.Naturally Eb is somewhat lower,but the higher Eb further up the neck is above 82hz,so it wont be affected.I read about the mod in SRV's amps in an interview with either Gerald Weber or Rivera,dont remember which,if I can find it I will get back with the formula,but I am sure some of the more math savvy guys here can elaborate on that.It involves finding the cap value based on the cathode resistor value.Whether or not it makes a big difference is of course up for debate.Personnaly,I dont see it being a big deal,I have used amps when tuning to open D for slide and dont see a need to mod the cap.I was only offering it up to show how a rumor or myth could have some basis in some misinterpretation of a fact.

rabies said:
so you think all those 7 string players do mods on their amps b/c of this??? doubt it.

I am playing by year, here...
Could it be that SRV's string set started with a .013" and that 7 string players go with .008" on their high E? Maybe SRV's low E was thicker than 7 string player's low B. Could it have something to do with the power involved on playing thicker strings?

I feel safe playing a 6 string guitar with an Boss Octaver set to 1 octave down through my amp and surely I wouldn't feel the same playing a bass through my amp. Frequencies are the same but power involved, probably not.

Again, I am playing by year here and I apologize in advance if you consider this a stupid subject.
Best regards

String gauge has nothing to do with anything.If you tune a .058 or .042 to an open E in standard tuning,it is still 82hz.A bass guitar wont hurt your amp,just the speaker.But a standard guitar amp will sound like crap with a bass guitar.

Its possible that a heavier string may give you a slightly higher amplitude,probably not noticeable,but a heavier string will decay quicker,the extra weight will slow down the sustain some.

Latest posts

Back