Another RK/Mark IV Question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxman73

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have another dilemma and I was hoping to get some advice from here...I posted on here a little bit ago about selling my RK 1 head with matching 4x12 cab...I have a chance to trade it even up for to items...They are a Roadster 2x12 combo w/4x12 Mesa cab or a Mark IV head w/4x12 Mesa cab...Now my RK half stack is completely custom from the ground up, including jewel light and cables...We're talking embossed leather, high end tubes, longer cables, I mean the works...Everything that was customizable and upgradeable, was...It's roughly 1 and half years old and the trades are brand new...

...Now, I love my amp, I really do...But, I feel like another person on here who was upset about buying a RK 1 and then Mesa coming out with the Series 2...I've played them all and there is no doubt that ch1 and ch 2 are FAR superior on the Roadster/RK 2...Everything else, I love...Now, with this possible trade pending, I'm asking myself (because I had it totally customized), should I go through with it...I mean, you should see this monster, his name is "Godzilla" and it's the sweetest looking amp I've ever owned...That's question one...Question 2 is if I do, then which one should I get?...I love the Mark IV totally (I've owned the Wide body combo), but the clean channel is really making me think about it...It is good, but I've played the RK 2/Roadster and I think (imo), that they're better...I play all styles from 80's Hair metal and modern metal to blues and punk...I need a versatile amp and I know that they both are...I know that tone is subjective, I understand that, but I still would like some feedback...Btw, I wanted the head version of the Roadster, but he doesn't have one in stock and will only do the trade for what he has in house...I figured i could still run the combo through the 4x12, kinda like a 3/4 stack...Help!!!

Are you able to do an even trade because it is upgraded?

Any chance you would want keep your custom stuff (tubes, cables, embossed leather boxes) and work with a dealer to switch out just the guts of a roadster or RKII and put them in your custom boxes with your premium tubes.

They could then sell your RKI head as used but in the stock head box with the stock tubes.

Just an idea.

No, I can do an even trade because that's what he's willing to give me for them...As far as switching them?...No, he's not into that unfortunately :cry: ...Good idea though.

I thought a long time about getting the Roadster too, just because channels 1 and 2 are brilliant, but its still got the Rectifier distortion channels holding it back because I outgrew that sound in like four months.
I ended up going with the Mark IV just because there is so many more tone shaping options and its got way tighter distortion with a better overall sound, and the clean channel still kicks ***.

Thanx a lot guys for the feedback...This is a really tough thing for me...Sounds like most are going with the Mark IV...
thought a long time about getting the Roadster too, just because channels 1 and 2 are brilliant, but its still got the Rectifier distortion channels holding it back because I outgrew that sound in like four months.

Are you just not a fan of that type of distortion or do you think that those two channels are really not that versatile?...Please, keep the feedback coming, I'm gonna make my decision this Monday.

Sounds kike a nice King you've got there. Before you make your decision be sure and demo the amp you want as thoroughly as possible and trust you GUT. Sounds like you really like the King so be 110% sure that you wanna let it go for the features of the other amps. The Mark4 is a different beast than a King be sure the differences are cool with you. The King 2 is a better pick for you than the Roadster due to the fact you've had a King before--you might resent your decision due to lack of options.Take your time dude because you have to live with your decision. Theres always more opportunities for trades later. good luck and keep us posted.

Hey guys...Well, I pulled the trigger and traded my RK in for a 2x12 Roadster combo and 4x12 Mesa Standard cab...It was a tough thing for me but in the end I believe it was the right decision for me...I love the fact that I can run the combo into the 4x12 and use it as a 3/4 stack for bigger venues and then keep the 4x12 at home and just use the combo for smaller ones...I want to stress something here though, I LOVE the Mark IV's and ALMOST got one, but the versatility of the above mentioned scenario is what finally made me go with what I did...I will own a Mark IV again real soon though, trust me :p ...Well, thanx to all those who helped me out with their opinions.

If you're happy, great. I think that's really all that matters.

Honestly, though, if your road king looked nearly as good as you described it, it would be one of those "non-replaceable" toys for me. As in, I'd find a way to keep both. :)

Either way, as long as you're happy.

Daxman73 said:
Hey guys, I have another dilemma and I was hoping to get some advice from here...I posted on here a little bit ago about selling my RK 1 head with matching 4x12 cab...I have a chance to trade it even up for to items...They are a Roadster 2x12 combo w/4x12 Mesa cab or a Mark IV head w/4x12 Mesa cab...Now my RK half stack is completely custom from the ground up, including jewel light and cables...We're talking embossed leather, high end tubes, longer cables, I mean the works...Everything that was customizable and upgradeable, was...It's roughly 1 and half years old and the trades are brand new...

...Now, I love my amp, I really do...But, I feel like another person on here who was upset about buying a RK 1 and then Mesa coming out with the Series 2...I've played them all and there is no doubt that ch1 and ch 2 are FAR superior on the Roadster/RK 2...Everything else, I love...Now, with this possible trade pending, I'm asking myself (because I had it totally customized), should I go through with it...I mean, you should see this monster, his name is "Godzilla" and it's the sweetest looking amp I've ever owned...That's question one...Question 2 is if I do, then which one should I get?...I love the Mark IV totally (I've owned the Wide body combo), but the clean channel is really making me think about it...It is good, but I've played the RK 2/Roadster and I think (imo), that they're better...I play all styles from 80's Hair metal and modern metal to blues and punk...I need a versatile amp and I know that they both are...I know that tone is subjective, I understand that, but I still would like some feedback...Btw, I wanted the head version of the Roadster, but he doesn't have one in stock and will only do the trade for what he has in house...I figured i could still run the combo through the 4x12, kinda like a 3/4 stack...Help!!!

Buy a RK II head, take the chassis out and put it in your custom headshell. Sell your RK I chassis in the stock headshell.

Thanx man...Yeah, I'm happy...The looks matter to me (if they didn't, I guess I wouldn't have gotten the custom stuff), but tone is far more important...I just couldn't get over the difference in tone between the RK 1 and the RK 2/Roadster in channels 1 and 2...And the fact I got such a good deal in trade made it worth it to me...Thanx again though...

Buy a RK II head, take the chassis out and put it in your custom headshell. Sell your RK I chassis in the stock headshell.

...Man, I wish I could have...That's exactly what I would have done...Just too much funds at this point...Good idea though.

Latest posts

Back