Another C+ recap question. do it myself or send it in?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
i took my c+ out of the cab, and took the filter cap board out enough to measure all of the electrolytics. the 220mf caps are measureing in the 480mf area, the 2 small 50uf caps are in the low 60ufs, and the blue 30uf caps are in the low 40uf's.

i definitly want to change the old silver 220mf caps.
i am confident that i can do it myself, like i said, i can get in there enough to do it.
plus i've recapped several fenders (countless champs, and a 65 deluxe reverb), and a few marshalls as well.
what i want to know is, should i bother sending it in for the recap or should i just order the parts and do it myself? everything else seems to be working fine on the amp, and it sounds good the way it is, but those 220uf's are making me nervous.
i know mike b replaces "other resistors that are known to go". i could do that to if i knew which ones he is talking about.
anyone know what resistors those are?

You know, Jim
I too have capped many amps, repaired a few less and am very technical type person. I sent both my Marks to mike B. when it came time for those jobs. He will not only replace all the caps, he'll clean the chassis, pots, jacks, check out and add a ground connection to improve your reverb. If its simul-class, he'll solder pins 8&1 together on the outer tube sockets (in case you want to run el-34's there). He knows where all the trouble spots can be found and will replace only/all that is needed. He'll also call you to review if there are any mods you want performed. He'll burn it in, it will get play tested and then sent back to you.
Cost me just under $200 for each amp. I did pay $300 for an effects loop mod to my IIB and that has been worth every penny.
I guess my point is that, while I could do these things as well for the cost of parts. Sending it to the guy who helped design and build it for this work relieves me of the possibility that I could screw up and damage my favorite amp. Also who knows it better?
Nobody, period.
My amps are an inspiration to me,more now than before he checked them out. I can completely recommend him and Mesa for the quality of work and their customer service as well. It will be shipped back in a quality box with fitted foam that will protect it and is suitable for reuse should you ever need it. They also insured my C+ for $3000 for the trip home. I didn't even have to ask them.

Sure you can do it yourself....but for $125 in labor you can have the guy who built it originally do it for you. THE GUY....

mY 2€ worth.
Jim

This is why it sucks to live in Australia. HAHA
Yeah i would take it to him if you can. I cant becasue i am better buying off one from the states and getting him to go over it and then send it out to me.haha. just cost to much in shipping.

i cleaned it all up myself already inside and out, and the reverb ground this has already been done. i don't know about the pins 1 and 8 thing, i only use 6l6's though.
i've sent him stuff many times, and i know he does great work, but i think i might takle this one myself since i really think its just those caps that need changing.

Latest posts

Back