Anibody ever racked the DC3 combo electronics?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerax

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a combo DC 3 that I keep for home practicing and the likes.
I lately decided to put my rig back together; I have several pieces of rack gear (a Triaxis, GCX switcher, VL Line Mixer, Eventide Eclipse and Lexicon MPX-1 multi FX, a dBx compressor and some stomp boxes).
I'm missing the power amp (I sold the 2:90 years ago due to its weight and unbearable power which was far too loud for my level of gigs, though I kind of regret it now...), so the idea of using 2 DC3 (getting another one) for stereo power and additional preamp tones with the switcher crossed my mind.

A few questions:

-I did a few tests but it looked like my DC3 doesn't like external preamps in its FX return that much with severe volume fluctuations...bad tubes or that's just the way it is?

-Do you think I could use the Triaxis ctrl switches to switch channels and graphic EQ on the DC3?

-Anybody ever actually tried racking the electronics of a DC3? (I also have a Marshall 4x12 cab that I could use with it, but I could eventually leave the combos as they are for a true stereo configuartion and just connect signal cables to the rack).

Thanx for your feedback

L.G.

If you want to rack the DC3, you have to measure it and see how wide it is, then if it is like 17 3/4 or something around there, you could rack it with one of mesa's rack kits like I did with my 50 caliber.

96dd9b62.jpg

and now that I think about it, I think it would be better for you to mod the fx loop to series.

Hey, nice one you have there...

I was thinking about doing some DIY cabinet for the eletronics, kind of like the original DC short head version (after all is 4 pieces of wood and I'm quite handy with that kind of jobs) but even slightly shorter as I'm leaving the reverb tank out (I'm using digital units for that) and maybe I will be able to fit 2 in my rack; it should fit as it's less wide than the rack rails; I got a few pics of some guy here on the board that did that and it looks cool.
I'm not sure about retolexing (I guess it's a hell of a job) and so I took a look at some of the custom models from the Mesa shop in natural wood finish: they're quite cool.

I hope I'll be able to post some pics soon.

Thanx for the time

Latest posts

Back